Living the Steve Nash Diet for a week

Posted by on September 16th, 10:46 pm

Some people think that Steve Nash (and Grant Hill) have found the fountain of youth in Phoenix.

Sure, Nash just put up the kind of numbers that no 36-year-old point guard ever has while leading his underdog team to within two games of the NBA Finals, but there’s no magic behind the reason for Nash’s astounding longevity.

Along with his incredible work ethic, two major factors for Nash’s late career success are in fact very simple: eating a super healthy diet and getting a good amount of sleep.

Just sleeping well and eating a much healthier diet won’t make you or me an All-Star-caliber point guard, but by seeing what this diet does for the Suns’ former two-time MVP I wonder how much better I would feel by eating like Nash.

So that’s my challenge for myself: I will follow The Nash Diet for a week and then report back to all of you my findings in both written and video form.

According to Nash’s aforementioned Facebook post, here is what I will be eating for the next week:

Breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day…. along with lunch and dinner. I feel if your diet is consistent and well balanced (think long term rather than short term) it isn’t so important what you eat right before you play or the night before because your energy levels and recovery will be on target from the quality of your previous three to seven days of meals.

-Gluten and wheat free cereal, sliced almonds and almond or rice milk. (If you don’t have the sensitivities I have look for a high fiber cereal. At least 4 grams of fiber.)
I will also have a whole fruit smoothie or an apple, banana or orange.
Green tea.

Lunch. A salad with grilled chicken or fish, vegetables, raw nuts and dried fruit.
I will also have fruit afterwards.

Dinner. Grilled or baked fish or chicken with vegetables. Sometimes I’ll have brown rice.

Again, plan ahead. If you get hungry between meals have a plan as to what foods you’ll turn to and make sure you have plenty of them so your only options aren’t will power or ice cream. My snack foods are, dried fruit, whole almonds or whole cashews. All natural, raw foods energy bars. Raw vegetables like carrots and celery. Whole fruit or whole fruit smoothies. It goes without saying drink water throughout the day to stay hydrated. If you feel like you need electrolytes coconut water has the highest concentration of electrolytes but if your diet is good you should have plenty of electrolytes.

Soooooooo, bring on the chicken and fish, and goodbye sugar!

Before we go any further, you must know a little bit about my dietary habits. I don’t exactly have a sweet tooth (although I’ll always go for a good slice of apple pie) so I don’t think the sugar part will be that impossible. I think sodas are a waste of calories and very rarely drink them, as water is my drink of choice.

But calling me a health nut would certainly be stretching the truth more than just a bit, particularly if we were talking about College Me (when three meals at Chipotle and two at Panda Express were an average week). I mean, back in college I had to write a green eating blog for class and even then I would report on the healthiest spots to eat at U of A but I would never eat there myself.

(Side story: I was interviewing the owner of a microbiotic restaurant in Los Angeles for that green eating blog, and out of the blue he tells me Grant Hill stopped in during a recent road trip. So even on a green eating blog for a journalism class I found a way to write about the Suns.)

Red meat still makes up a large chunk of my diet, and carbs account for another big part of it. My side dishes are never as healthy as Nash’s typical brown rice accompaniment, and my friends look at me funny if I ever order a salad.

So for one week I will be saying goodbye to my go-to meals, I will ignore any cupcakes brought into my office by my colleagues and I will try to eat as healthy as Steve Nash. Wish me luck.

Tags: Phoenix Suns · Steve Nash

• 1 James // Sep 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I can't wait for this

• 2 Michael Schwartz // Sep 16, 2010 at 4:35 pm

@ James You know what cupcakes I was referring to.

@ Jacob Certainly no Uncle Sam meetings this week.

• 3 Willi from Germany // Sep 16, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Great idea to try out and to write about! What if it goes well or you feel like you can't say too much about it after just one week, will you extend the experiment for another week? And don't forget the sleeping part!

• 4 Jacob // Sep 16, 2010 at 11:30 pm

No more Uncle Sam meetings I guess? lol

• 5 Anna Fitzgerald // Sep 17, 2010 at 2:58 am

So I'm assuming you're NOT going to want to beat your record of 2 Chipotle burritos in one sitting this week?

Lame. Maybe next week then.

• 6 Eric // Sep 17, 2010 at 3:38 am

The problem is that most people referring to "diet" as if it's something temporary ("I weigh too much; I need to go on a diet," or — in this case — "I'm going on the Steve Nash Diet for a week!"). People who do this are not going to see the health benefits that come with incorporating good eating habits into one's whole way of living, the way Nash is doing. Don't do for one week what you can do on a permanent basis — your body will thank you in the end. (And as for those people who find eating vegetables/salad funny — give them a few years and see if they find heart disease, obesity, and high medical bills funny).

• 7 Abby Gilmore // Sep 17, 2010 at 4:26 am

@Eric – I agree! It needs to be a lifestyle change, not just a temporary diet. However, I think sometimes kicking off with a "diet" can promote a lifestyle change, it just gives extra motivation. At least that's how it is in my case.

@Michael – Good luck with the diet.. will be interesting to see if it has an affect on your mood/how you feel!

• 8 Patrick // Sep 17, 2010 at 7:23 am

This is a really cool idea. Good luck giving up sugar!

• 9 Houston Rockets Daily News for September 16th, 2010 | Red94 | essays and musings on the nba and houston rockets // Sep 17, 2010 at 8:47 am

[...] Michael Schwartz of Valley of the Suns will be trying to eat like Steve Nash for a week. I will be checking in on his progress, laughing only on occasion. Add a Comment :: Share this var addthis_config = { services_compact: 'www.red94.net, email, facebook, twitter, print, pdfonline, favorites, more'} :: Tweet this [...]

• 10 Crazy Pills Too // Sep 18, 2010 at 4:00 am

Sounds pretty healthy, but I think red meat is required to play defense.

• 11 Steve Nash Diet Challenge: A successful week eating healthy like the MVP | Valley of the Suns // Sep 24, 2010 at 1:18 am

[...] Seven days ago I set out to eat like Steve Nash for one week. [...]

• 12 Ryan // Feb 21, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I love seeing the part about a lot of sleep as a college kid, do you know if steve drinks soy milk at all? i have read numerous articles about soy milk and i cant decide if its good or bad.

• 13 John Wall is a junk food fanatic | Patrick Crawley | Basketball Fiend // May 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

[...] eating has become the most recent competitive advantage in the NBA. Just look at the success Steve Nash has had. Wall’s a competitive guy. It won’t be long before he wises up and starts eating [...]

• 14 Tomorrow is the… | jseider // Nov 30, 2011 at 10:22 pm

[...] Tomorrow is the start of something new. I always say this, and end up spoiling my diet. But this time I am really going to try and start eating healthy. Telling this to you guys (the internet world) I think will give me a little extra motivation. I don’t know why it’s so hard for me to eat healthy, last year I started eating really healthy and was getting very good at my eating habits. But lately it hasn’t gone so good. Eating the right things makes me feel happier and better about myself. I’m not fat in the least bit, im very active, I lift weights, and play basketball. What I plan on getting back to is eating things with no corn syrup, or any processed foods (which basically all processed foods have corn syrup in them). I’m goin all natural, like I did last year. That means for breakfast oatmeal with fruit, or shredded wheat cereal, with bananas. lunch homemade wheat bread with natural peatnut butter and jelly. and a fruit or sweat potato. and for dinner I usually eat whatever my mom makes, which is usually fairly healthy. I guess you could call me a health nut. But all processed foods and snacks do is make you feel like a fatty and it DOES increase your weight. I’m pretty much following the Steve Nash diet. Steve Nash is my favorite ball player and knowing that he eats healthy, and it helps him improve on the court, motivates me even more to do this diet. This is what the Steve Nash diet is: http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/09/16/living-the-steve-nash-diet-for-a-week/ [...]