Behind enemy lines with Forum Blue & Gold

Posted by on May 15th, 12:32 am

There’s been enough days between the time the Western Conference Finals were set and now for Suns fans to learn everything they didn’t already know about the Los Angeles Lakers …. and we still have another weekend to go before this thing finally tips off Monday night in Hollywood.

But to really get the inside scoop on all things Lakers I sent over some questions to Darius Soriano, who runs the fine TrueHoop Lakers blog Forum Blue & Gold. Soriano discusses the state of the Suns-Lakers rivalry, Kobe and revenge before predicting the series in this Q and A.

Also, check out a Q and A I did with FB&G in which I answer questions on the series.

Do you consider Suns-Lakers anything of a rivalry?

I know that a lot of Lakers fans do, but personally I don’t.  I must say that when D’Antoni was coaching the team and Phoenix employed Raja Bell and Tim Thomas that the Suns were a team that I didn’t like very much.  But I wouldn’t quite call it a rivalry because I think that term is mostly used for teams that are both at the top of their games and duke it out over several seasons or if there is a historical aspect to the matchup that gives those teams the added edge when they face off.  I would say that both the Suns and Lakers have rivalries with the Spurs, but not with each other.  However, let’s match up in the WCF for a couple more seasons and we’ll be cooking then.

Do you think think Kobe is still in his prime?

I’d say Kobe is at the tail end of his prime.  That said, I think he’s such a good player, so well conditioned, and such a student of the game that the end of his prime will last much longer than most players.  When I see Kobe, I think of guys like Jordan or Karl Malone or Stockton in that those guys played high caliber basketball until their late 30′s.  Obviously Kobe is a preps-to-pros player and we’ll see if that means an earlier decline — maybe at 35-36 rather than 38-39 like those other guys — but I do believe his dedication to his craft will keep him elite for several more seasons. I think his recent injuries (especially his knee) are a concern, but as he ages I believe he’ll be able to compensate for his declining athleticism better than most athletes due to his evolving nature as a player and his cerebral approach to the game.

Should the Suns be more worried about Kobe when he’s in killer mode or when he’s getting everybody involved?

That’s a tough question because over the past three seasons I think those modes are meshing better than they have than at any other time in his career.  Kobe’s been showing a great ability to keep defenses honest by setting up in certain positions of the court (pinch post/elbow area) where tough decisions are required and defensive schemes are put to the test.  For example, Kobe averaged 5.8 assists against the Jazz while scoring over 30 points in each game.  He did a lot of work from the extended low block and either got himself a good look or accepted double teams and then made the proper pass.  Right now, he’s a very tough cover as he’s patient but aggressive.  Sure, there is still the fear that Kobe will go into “hero” mode, but we’ve seen less and less of that as he’s gotten healthier over the course of the playoffs.  I know that didn’t really answer your question, but Kobe is still an elite talent and the Lakers’ other players can beat teams (especially Gasol), so I don’t know if there a version of Kobe to fear more.

Some of the Lakers have talked about this being a “revenge” series for what happened in 2006 and 2007. Do you buy that?

I do somewhat.  Kobe and Odom were on both of those teams and even though those guys broke through last season to win a title, this series could be seen as unfinished business.  I think the series in ’05-06 was especially painful for that group, what with the 3-1 series lead that ended up being a defeat in seven games.  I know that’s the series that still bothers me as a fan.  Not so much because of the result (the Lakers were the 7th seed), but because of how close the Lakers were.  Ahh … forget I even said anything.

I know Bynum is a little banged up. How does that knee injury of his limit him or do you expect him to be full bore going into the series?

To answer your second question first, I think Bynum will be limited for the rest of the playoffs.  As for how his injury affects him, he’s definitely not as mobile and his lateral movement is compromised.  He’s also shown less explosion on his finishes around the basket and less lift after making his initial move on the low block.  All that said, he’s gutting it out and still doing good things in his minutes.  He’s rebounding well and protecting the paint on defense.  He’s also been pretty active on the offensive glass and is still able to use his big body to set screens in the Lakers’ early offensive sets.  I should say, though, that I do expect Bynum’s minutes to decrease in this series in favor of Odom.  I’d expect Drew to be in the game with Lopez/Collins and some of the time on Amar’e, but that Odom will play a lot against Frye and Amundson.  I expect Pau to be at 40+ minutes each night — a load that he can handle, by the way.

How does Ron Artest fit into this series? Are the Lakers still worried that the next blowup could be right around the corner?

I think Ron will be used as a stopper on defense for either Hill or Richardson and then as a post up player/slasher on offense.  It remains to be seen if Hill or Richardson will guard Kobe, but assuming it’s Hill this will give Ron a chance to play against Richardson who (in my opinion) isn’t the best defender.  On defense, I think Ron will step up to contain either one of the Suns’ wings and may even guard Nash for some possessions (to what level of success remains to be seen).  As for the “next blowup,” that’s actually not something I fear.  I’ve mentioned this a few times this season, but Ron’s respect level for Kobe is higher than I ever imagined (and I thought it was healthy already — even after the Houston series last year).  So, I don’t think Ron could bring himself to really derail this team’s hopes for a title.  Also, I know that Ron comes off as crazy or “out there,” but from the people that I talk to he’s actually a pretty self-aware person that knows what he’s doing more than what he’s given credit for.

Derek Fisher is obviously not the player he once was. At this point is he a liability for Los Angeles or do you still trust his clutch factor at this point of the year?

I’ve been a Fisher defender for a long time and I continue to support him as a player on this team.  I value his contributions, and in these playoffs he’s had a renaissance of sorts, so on a personal level I feel like my faith has been rewarded.  That said, I’d be a dummy not to acknowledge that he’s a player in decline and that there are several ways that he can be viewed as a liability.  In the end, I think most Lakers fans could at least agree with the sentiment that besides Kobe, Fisher is the player you’d most want taking that open jumper at the end of the game, but at the same time you don’t want to see him in isolation trying to get that key stop on a speedy guard.

The Suns’ three-point shooting is a huge key to the series to me. What has made the Lakers so effective at defending the long ball this season?

I think it’s the Lakers’ combination of length and quickness across the roster.  The Lakers’ bigs are good at protecting the rim, and that allows the wing players to play closer to shooters on the perimeter.  It also helps to have Kobe and Artest as your defensive wings (though if you ask Lakers fans they’d tell you that Kobe can get caught over helping and leaving his man behind the arc).  Also, with big men like Gasol and Odom — two players with good size and agility — even the bigs get out to contest jumpers when the scheme calls for them to rotate.

A lot has been made about how the Suns possess a better bench than the Lakers. Are you concerned about this advantage or is talking about benches overblown?

I’m concerned, but only to a point.  In part of our series preview at FB&G, I wrote about the benches of each team, and I think that Phoenix’s ability to go 10 deep is something that will surely affect this series.  However, there are two things that I think should be pointed out: 1). With a big man rotation of Bynum/Gasol/Odom, those units where the Suns play Dudley/Amundson at PF and/or Frye at C will be tested by having to defend the post and rebound against legitimate big men (there are no Bonners’ or McDyess’ on the Lakers), and 2). I wonder how healthy Sasha Vujacic is because he’s a player that is familiar with Dragic as they’re both Slovenian.  I know the second point seems a bit far fetched, but Phil is notorious for assigning players a specific matchup in a series and having them focus all their energy on just that one player.  If Sasha is good enough to go, I’d bet we see some of that matchup and I’m interested in seeing the results.

Who ya got and in how many?

I typically don’t predict series because I’m a person that is hopeful about a team’s success and not one that likes to say “this will happen” with any sort of definitiveness.  However, for the sake of this post, I’d say that the Lakers win and that it will be a six-game series.  I truly respect the Suns, but in the end I think the combination of the Lakers’ size and Kobe will prove to be too much for the Suns to win four games.

Tags: Los Angeles Lakers · Phoenix Suns · Playoffs

• 1 Brian // May 15, 2010 at 1:36 am

Racial profiling of Slovenians! I"m gonna boycott LA! LOL…

• 2 Robert // May 15, 2010 at 8:42 am

Thanks Darius, one of the better written Q&As I’ve read on here. Here’s to another great series!

• 3 Bizzle // May 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm

“Arrogant Laker fans don’t underestimate us Suns, were not the same team, our bench is incredible, blah blah blah”

Lakers won’t underestimate the Suns, but Suns fans shouldn’t underestimate the Lakers

the time has come for revenge.

• 4 CornFlakes // May 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Revenge? Kobe gave up in Game 7 of the ’06 series by passing the ball around the entire second half. He has no one to blame but himself. “Revenge” my foot.

• 5 Hersey // May 16, 2010 at 7:15 am

I think anyone who watched that game, knows Kobe quit no matter how he justifies it. He scored 50 in Game 6 and stopped shooting in Game 7. It doesn't matter now because he's grown up but cut the revisionist history please. The revenge angle is lame. Kobe's had a pretty charmed life since those losses. Gets Fisher, Gasol and Artest, MVP, 2 Finals trips and a title. Revenge for making him demand a trade and getting the Lakers front office to respond with title-worthy roster moves? Please. History means nothing in this series in the same way it meant nothing against the Spurs. It'll be great basketball though.

• 6 seth // May 16, 2010 at 9:33 am

Yeah, I think Lebron did do almost the same thing as Kobe in Game 5. He obviously tried his best in game 6 with the very solid triple double. But it was a similar situation, Jamison had something like 6 points and 5 rebounds in 32 minutes, and even though Mo Williams is a very good player, he is definitely not the best pg Lebron could be playing with at this point in his career. Like they said on espn.com, Lebron needs a great pg and a very good-to-excellent big man. If some team could put him, dwayne wade, and Chris Bosh together, then you'll have a golden championship-contending formula in that three-headed monster a la Boston '08-now. They'd all have to be willing to take pay cuts and decreases in their stats, but if a team has the cap space and the negotiating skills to put them together, the rest of the League, including my beloved Lakers, are in for a new dynasty era headed called USS Lebron.

But as for our series, i too respect your Suns and this blog, but for the reasons Darius pointed out above, it'll be Lakers in 6. But enjoy the series guys – there will definitely be some pretty rousing dogfights and emotions flaring.

• 7 Bizzle // May 16, 2010 at 11:03 am

I disagree.

this is an excerpt fro Bill Plaschke’s article in the LA times. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may/15/sports/la-sp-0516-plaschke-20100516/2

“To get back in the game, we needed somebody else to start making shots,” Bryant said. “I was just trying to get the other guys going, turn the momentum around.”

It didn’t work. The Lakers scored four baskets in the first eight minutes of the third quarter, trailed by 22, and the game was over.

‘”I really tried to help everyone else, it just never happened, we missed shots, they got run-outs, three, three, three, and all of the sudden, the game was out of reach,” Bryant said. “I had been successful doing that before, other guys start making shots, the energy picks up, we get back in the game. But nobody saw those games.”

Even if he did stop shooting and has no one to blame but himself it’s still a win in the Suns’ column.

The Suns won and the Lakers didn’t and now it’s time for payback for that total dismantalling of the Lakers in 06 and 07

• 8 Craig W. // May 16, 2010 at 11:11 am

CornFlakes,
    You are buying into the ‘talking heads’ hype machine. There are issues with Kobe and his ego, but commitment to winning isn’t one of them.

• 9 j lam // May 16, 2010 at 4:04 pm

i’m pretty sure any suns fan is stoked about clobbering the spurs who have taken them out of contention way too many times in the last decade. to say there wasn’t a revenge factor there is plain false. playing with a sense of revenge is a good thing. that said, i don’t think kobe has any revenge in him. he wants to win and that its. other teammates, specifically andrew bynum have stated that they do want to get revenge for the 05-06 debacle.
    and as for kobe giving up in game 7, if scoring 50 points didn’t work out, you gotta try something else. you can’t stick with the same strategy and expect it to work the second time, thats just insanity.

btw, anybody think lebron quit in games 5 and 6?

• 10 Joshua // May 16, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I just don’t see the Suns defeating this version of the Lakers in a 7 game series. Even if the Suns had HCA, I’d still say Lakers in 6. No one on the Suns has any hope of containing Kobe. The best defender the Suns had is in Charlotte- and even he couldn’t really do anything about Kobe. The same goes for Gasol who is playing at a ridiculous level now. If those two are both on their game…it’s over.

Also, Artest is not going to stand outside missing 3′s all game long…he’ll be posting up and when he does, the Suns won’t have an answer for it. He’s too strong for any of the Suns’ wings.

But, here’s to a good battle. I can’t wait.

• 11 nemesis // May 16, 2010 at 11:46 pm

anyone with knowledge of how Phil coached Kobe specifically that fateful game 7 knows that Kobe had been going off in the first half but that they weren’t going to win that way, that night. Phil asked Kobe at the half to focus on getting the other players involved…players like Kwame Brown & Smush Parker…since the other route was effective, but still had us down by double-digits at half’s end.

Kobe may have gone a little overboard, since that lead quickly sky-rocketed & Kobe now was in a no-win situation. if Kobe tries to take over with the Lakers already down 20+ & they fail, then “Kobe shoots too much.”

his fault was perhaps in prematurely writing off his teammates, but he really had done that from game 1 on. the Suns were keying on the other Lakers & letting Kobe exhaust his energy trying to break-down Raja Bell one-on-one while trying to chase him around screens & P&R.

the Suns had successfully adjusted by game 5 & Kobe wore out by game 7.

Kobe now has Pau, a MUCH IMPROVED Bynum (though injured), & two other guys that can pretty much post up at-will against these Suns in Ron Artest & Lamar Odom. the Suns will win spurts with energy & efficiency off the break…but i expect the same type of inconsistency that you inevitably see against these Lakers when trying to win from the perimeter.

the Lakers possess great rebounding prowess, & boast the best def 3pt% in the league.

i expect the Lakers to allow Nash the ability to score vs. pass & limit his assists because that breaks the Suns offensive rhythm & makes it tougher on the role players.

disruption is the key…i think the Lakers succeed in this series at accomplishing that…Lakers in 5.

• 12 The Z. Man // Jun 21, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Good analysis.

Much better Laker fans than those who blog on “Ball Don’t Lie.” They give you Laker fans a real bad name.

Suns found a way to “Beat LA.” Unfortunately, they gave up on our winning bench at the end of the deciding game. STAT is probably gone. Suns need to keep Frye, Louis & our Brazilian Blur. They beat LA, with the help of Dud & Gogi. Barbosa knows how to beat you guys.

MUST start and also finish with LB. Let’s go SUNS!!!!