Amare Stoudemire trade rumors 2010: Why a Philly deal involving Iguodala would be the Suns’ best bet

Posted by on February 5th, 1:29 am

The Suns can do no better than Iguodala and Dalembert in an Amare trade. (AP Photo/Michael Perez)

The Suns can do no better than Andre Iguodala and Samuel Dalembert in an Amare trade. (AP Photo/Michael Perez)

The hottest Amare Stoudemire trade rumor of the day revolves around the Suns packaging Leandro Barbosa with STAT to Philadelphia in return for Andre Iguodala and Samuel Dalembert. According to ESPN’s Chad Ford, the Suns are interested in such a deal but Philadelphia is not for now.

If I were Steve Kerr, this is a deal I would seriously consider pulling the trigger on.

Although in a perfect world I would still prefer Amare to be signed to a reasonable extension, if the right deal is out there then the Suns have to do it considering the possibility of losing Amare for nothing this offseason or sweating through a lame duck year only to lose him next offseason.

There are two key ingredients I think the Suns should require in any Amare trade:

1.  A potential future All-Star.

2.  A big man.

If a player like Al Jefferson or Michael Beasley who happens to satisfy both requirements gets dangled, then great. But one way or another those are the two pieces the Suns need to get back in any such deal, and this trade does just that.

Iggy fills up the box score on a nightly basis, averaging 17.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 5.7 apg and 1.0 steals per contest. The biggest downside on the court to Iguodala is that he’s not a three-point shooter, hitting just 31.4 percent of his long-range shots this season and 32.3 percent for his career, but he’d be dynamic in the open court with Nash.

The other downside is his contract, which pays him $12.3 million next season, $13.5 mil in 2011-12 and $14.7 million in 2012-13 before he has a chance to pick up a $15.9 million player option the year after that. If the Suns like the UA product, they better really like him because he will be at least one of the faces of the franchise in the post-Nash years under this scenario.

Dalembert, a native of Haiti, is a salary albatross on the books at $12.2 million next season, but he can still play a little. He’s an athletic 6-foot-11 performer averaging 7.5 and 9.7 to go with 2.2 blocks per game, and he’s only a couple years removed from a 10.5-10.3 with 2.3 blocks.

With Iggy on the perimeter and Dalembert down low, the Suns would be a much improved defensive team, and they would have quite the shot-blocking trio of Dalembert, Lopez and Lou.

Financially, the Suns would be taking on about $1.25 million this season, which amounts to a $2.5 million hit due to the luxury tax. Next year, if Amare does indeed exercise his option, the financial commitment on both sides is about a wash.

After that, the Suns would have about $27 million worth of expiring contracts in Dalembert and J-Rich for the summer of 2011, which they could either turn into an asset or use to reload during that summer around Nash (one last time) and Iggy along with the youthful quartet of Dragic-Dudley-Clark-Lopez.

In the meantime, the general consensus about the current Suns is that they are a nice team that could win a playoff series but likely isn’t making a real run any time soon.

Would Iggy and Dalembert change that? Not necessarily, but they would turn the Suns into a more defensive-oriented unit that could still play up tempo, and John Hollinger’s analysis on ESPN’s Trade Machine gives the Suns five more wins and the Sixers eight fewer victories.

I do worry about not having a true interior offensive presence, but scoring has never been the Suns’ problem, and it wouldn’t be with this hypothetical lineup.

As for Philadelphia, a team that visits US Airways Center on Feb. 24, Amare may have spoken about seriously considering exercising his option to scare a bad team like the Sixers from making a play for him in hopes of acquiring a de facto expiring contract in Stoudemire. That certainly would be one of the Sixers’ biggest aims with the Iggy-Dalembert duo being rumored for T-Mac’s expiring deal as well.

Even if he exercises the option, I don’t see how that’s so bad for Philly since the team would then have a major expiring deal to potentially turn into more assets. Plus, I don’t think Amare would exercise it to stay in a situation he isn’t happy with.

Back to the Suns, I really like this trade because of how it sets up their future. When I look at the future of the Suns, I either see a core of quality young players who aren’t stars or that same group plus Amare taking up a huge chunk of cap room.

Under this scenario the Suns would have a complementary stud in Iguodala joining a better defensive unit with Dalembert this season, and then a reload in 2011 featuring Nash with the youthful quintet of Dragic-Iggy-Dudley-Clark-Lopez.

Do you think a 2011 free agent or two would want to join that exciting Phoenix squad flush with cap space for one final run with Nash?

I understand I’m getting ahead of myself here, but I don’t see anybody sending Steve Kerr an offer that sets up the Suns any better for the future while keeping them competitive (and potentially better) in the present.

Tags: Amare Stoudemire · Future · Philadelphia 76ers · Phoenix Suns · Phoenix Suns Analysis · Phoenix Suns Rumors

• 1 Ted // Feb 4, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Not a terrible scenario. In a world where the suns dont give away draft picks, we could have had Iggy years ago, if my memory is correct. I'm a Wildcat myself and I'd love to see Iggy here with Frye, but my best outcome is us keeping Amar'e. He might be streaky, he might be a mediocre defender, he might not be a great rebounder, but to me he is a Phoenix Sun. I just can not imagine Amar'e in any other uniform, and I believe that we will keep him. The suns will be streaky, no matter how you assemble them really. I still think that, as we are, if we can come together play some better team D, the Suns really have a shot at making some noise in the playoffs. With Big Bird (Aka Robin Lopez) at center we match up wayy better with the bigger teams in the league, and I really think we are an elite team. Despite looking so mediocre somedays.

• 2 asani // Feb 5, 2010 at 12:41 am

You suns fans who think the suns will improve by trading Amare are sadly dellusional. Amare is a finisher bottom line and you can't name another big who can finish the way he can. Not Dwight Howard he lacks offensive game and a go to move. Not Chris Bosh he is just too soft. We can go down the line but no one is going to help the suns like you think they will. Ok fine have A.I and Dalempert so what happens to your offense now? We lose our scoring big man and replace it with a defender who can't score. How does that help us??

• 3 Lisa McGhee // Feb 5, 2010 at 1:47 am

I read this and I think u have some good points. But, I believe it is Amare’s best interest to stay. If Steve Kerr continues to shake the team up, he is in essence setting them back further. We have a great squad right now. Their play as of late, seems to be a way of quieting the trade rumors. Which I myself am tired of hearing about. As a true Suns fan, I believe in my team.

• 4 Kevin // Feb 5, 2010 at 2:51 am

Whit a pressence like that it will give the suns 55 more games and a better defender. Where have I heard that before ( J-Rich ) you didn’t take Samuel then why would you now LB is still the blurr (- the wrist ) I would like to see Amare in a Suns uniform for a long time to come. But what are you going to do late in the game when free throws come into play you take AI and Samuel out to put in lopez and Lou to take those shots. One thing is clear with what Kerr has done is making the Suns look like a contender one year and not even making the playoffs next. I truly believe if this goes down I’m done watching but I’ll support in silence.

• 5 Gremer // Feb 5, 2010 at 7:14 am

im sorry.. but Nash said it best, that even when the team was playing good and solid, they still kept mixing it up by trading people.. and with that, it’s a whole starting knowing process over again and in the middle of the season no less. let’s just keep it our group. please. no more trades. and amar’e, don’t worry about your money, if you put up numbers like 22ppg and 10ppg, the money will come. and getting dalembert will just offset the maturation process of lopez. seriously. why will we need two guys who basically play the same??? i traded jrich for iggy in espn’s trade machine and it worked!

• 6 Saleem // Feb 5, 2010 at 8:09 am

Completely disagree with the premise of the article. AI2 would displace Grant and Dudley’s minutes while tying up salary for 3 more seasons. Dalembert offers no true upside over Lopez other than experience, and his prescence would further slow Robin’s acquisition of same. From the business side this deal is questionable too. The Sun’s take on 2.5mil for player who will not increase their ability to advance into the playoffs? They take on the certainty of Dalembert contract for next year vs. the sign and trade of Amare or possible opt out? They marry themselves to Iguodala for the sunset run of Nash’s career? No. IMO. No. Even from the Sixer’s view point what do they get? Amare? An older version of Speights? With higher contract demands and injury history? To pair with Brand? Another player trying to rehab his game (who’s on a long term contract btw). No. Triple NO. IMO.

• 7 Ryan // Feb 5, 2010 at 9:03 am

Only if they throw in Speights, but I don’t see them doing that.

• 8 Ryan // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:54 am

• 9 Bobby // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:57 am

This is a ludicrous trade scenario. If anyone thought trading Raja was tough on Nash imagine what it would do to Nash to have Leandro traded away. It makes me sick when fans would rather dismantle a team them give them time to gel.

• 10 Jake // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:59 am

This is all about Suns stupid draft history. In 2004 draft, they passed Iggy for Luol Deng, who was immediately traded for future conditional 1st round pick and nobody(Jackson Vroman? who the heck is he?). I hate to see they just gave away so many talented picks for nothing. 2004 Luol Deng, 2005 Nate Robinson and Marcin Gortat, 2006 Rajon Rondo, 2007 Rudy Fernandez.

Just keep Amare for now. I don’t want to discuss if he is a max player or not. At least, he is and will be the best finisher inside during Nash’s era.

• 11 Jake // Feb 5, 2010 at 11:03 am

I think this looks better.

• 12 Ryan // Feb 5, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Jake,
    I think your trade looks great, everyone would get what they want plus we keep Amare. The only problem is Houston is basically taking Jason Richardson over Iguodala, and I don’t see them doing that. They would probably just leave Phoenix out of the trade and trade McGrady for Iguodala and Dalembert straight up.

• 13 Ryan L. // Feb 5, 2010 at 1:49 pm

This is a good trade only if we can’t hammer out an extension. We receive young talent and a athletic big man who can rebound. I love Robin but he just can’t rebound. With this line up we start iggy at two and Frye at four,with Nash and hill at there normal spot. Although we lose a lot of three point threat so we can have hill back up iggy at three and Dudley back up at two as to not create a log jam at three. A second unit of dragic Dudley hill amundson Lopez….that is the best second unit in basketball. Philadelphia recieves a new face to the franchise or great salary relief. A lot of negatives and positives to this deal.

• 14 marques morgan // Feb 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm

For anyone that says do this look at iggys contract you can offer amare a contract a lil higher than that of iggys as far as dalenbert he has no trade value none..iggys only being traded so they can get rid of dalenbert..id rather keep lope at a 5th of the price..so we are trying to trade amare an allstar for a player not in his prime and the big man equiv of jrich as far as contract..please keep stat

• 15 steve // Feb 5, 2010 at 3:40 pm

KEEP AMARE.

GRANT HILL/STEVE NASH ETC. ARE GOING TO RETIRE SOON.

WE NEED TO BUILD OUR TEAM ABOUT AMARE. HE IS THE FUTURE. START TRADING AMUNDSON AND LOPEZ FOR SOME QUALITY PICKS OR PLAYERS.

• 16 Ryan L // Feb 5, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Trade amundson and Lopez for picks? We would be lucky to get a late second round for them combined…trade our cheapest contracts for a d leauger..great idea! !!!! Of course we want to build around amare but that is up too our owner and amare. ….this is why we are in this situation, Brick Tamland. That is about the worst idea ever. We just need to stand pat…hope amare opts in and trade j rich’s huge expiring deal next year for some young talent to a team desperate to cut pay roll. You are a worse gm than kerr

• 17 Mike Meez // Feb 5, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I agree with the consensus here. This looks like a terrible trade. I thought the whole point of trading Amare was to put us under the cap so we don't waste money when we're rebuilding. If it doesn't do that, then are we going to get better from the trade? I really don't think so. Dalembert sucks, he has not lived up to his potential and I'm glad we never traded for him before. Iguodala is a fine player but not at the cost of Amare and Barbosa. If we trade Amare and Barbosa, we might as well trade Nash then too and start all over. Nash doesn't have enough time to learn to play without those two, it's a completely different team without them (especially Amare). Just an all around horrible idea. If this is the best we can do, might as well keep amare. My ideal trade would be to get a 1st round draft pick but I think the only way to do that would be with a team that is very confident that it could re-sign Amare.

• 18 Zane // Feb 5, 2010 at 8:45 pm

It’s still all about Amare. He sets us up for the future and looks like the only athletic big man that could ever keep up with them. I don’t want Iggy or Dalembert(who isn’t good at all) if I have to give up amare and barbosa. That would just be stupidity. If we keep our young core of players we are contenders now and into the future.

• 19 ecd1966 // Feb 6, 2010 at 9:33 am

Alright, I am bored with the owner and GM trying to reunite the U of A alumni on a single NBA team. No we should not trade Amare for Andre. Your not going to trade one of the top three Power Forwards for not even a top ten small forward. Secondly small forwards are very easy to find in the draft and/or free agency. I have a great idea trade the owner and GM for the Colangelos, we may not have won the NBA championship, but we were far closer than these group will even dream of sniffing!!!

• 20 Jax // Feb 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm

• 21 Preview: Suns (30-21) at Kings (16-32)| Valley of the Suns // Feb 6, 2010 at 9:42 pm

[...] Amare Stoudemire trade rumors 2010: Why a Philly deal involving Iguodala would be the Suns’ be… Suns 114, Kings 102 — Road sweep road [...]

• 22 PistonPowered » Blog Archive » Sunday Trade Idea: Going after Amar’e Stoudemire // Feb 7, 2010 at 4:04 am

[...] lately the Amare Stoudemire trade rumors that have interested me the most have been those involving Andre Iguodala and Philadelphia, if I [...]

• 23 BIG sixer fan // Feb 7, 2010 at 4:58 am

i don't know but this might happen????

• 24 Amare Trade Rumors: Suns really want Iguodala| Valley of the Suns // Feb 7, 2010 at 9:00 pm

[...] fans spend a lot of time considering many potential Amare Stoudmire trade rumors, but clearly the one involving Philadelphia and Andre Iguodala has some [...]

• 25 Jared // Feb 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Get STAT out of the valley. He is lazy on d and only seems to give his all when his name comes up in trade rumors. Never averaged 10 boards a game for a season in his career. STAT is incredibly talented but he may need a change to realize his true potential.

I don’t want to see Barbosa go but I think the length and atheticism of J-Rich, Iggy, frye and Dalembert would complement Nash incredibly well. And that bench with Dragic, Dudly, Hill, Clark, Lou and Lopez woud be incredible. We would be a better team this year and next, especially on D and really give ourselves a chance to contend for the final year of Nash’s deal.

Last, the issue the Suns have had in close games down the stretch has had nothing to do with inside scoring. They have been in desperate need of a wing who can create on his own since Joe Johnson left. That is how you maintain a three or four point lead with two minutes left in a game, not the pick and roll.

• 26 Amare Stoudemire Trade Rumors: Detroit now in the mix?| Valley of the Suns // Feb 9, 2010 at 11:18 am

[...] very well thrown their name into the hat. Coro reported a variation to the 76ers deal that was originally rumored to include forward Andre Iguodala and center Samuel Dalembert, with the new deal involving the [...]

• 27 Amare Stoudemire Trade Rumors: Is Miami the most likely destination if the Suns trade Amare?| Valley of the Suns // Feb 14, 2010 at 4:59 pm

[...] actually have the pieces to put such a deal together. I have already written at length about why an Amare trade to Philly for Andre Iguodala and Samuel Dalembert could make some sense for the Suns. How would Michael [...]

• 28 More Amare to Cleveland rumors on All-Star Day| Valley of the Suns // Feb 15, 2010 at 12:35 am

[...] deal gives the Suns their optimal deal in acquiring Iggy and Dalembert while getting rid of J-Rich’s contract. This deal would save [...]

• 29 Can the Suns afford not to trade Amare at this point?| Valley of the Suns // Feb 15, 2010 at 11:58 pm

[...] means I hope Andre Iguodala will be a Sun. I have previously discussed why Iguodala and Dalembert bring the best value, and with Miami apparently either not offering Michael Beasley or the Suns having no interest in [...]

• 30 ????? ?????????? ?? // Apr 4, 2014 (3 weeks ago) at 5:23 pm

Greetings from Colorado! I’m bored at work so I decided
    to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break.
    I really like the info you provide here and can’t wait to take
    a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how quick your
    blog loaded on my mobile .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G ..
    Anyways, superb site!

Here is my blog post :: ????? ?????????? ??