Eric Bledsoe returns to the practice court

Posted by on February 24th, 1:30 pm

PHOENIX — Eric Bledsoe has been making strides toward returning to the court in recent weeks and on Monday it became a reality. The 6-foot-1 guard played a 3-on-3 game at practice in his first real action since undergoing knee surgery to fix meniscus damage.

“I was a little bit rusty for the most part and appreciate my teammates coming out helping me,” Bledsoe said after his workout.

Suns coach Jeff Hornacek still needs to see Bledsoe run through a full practice and play in a 5-on-5 scrimmage before he returns to game action. Hornacek said Bledsoe could return to practice as soon as Saturday, but that is fully dependent on how the knee responds. Soreness is expected considering Monday was the first time Bledsoe gave his knee a full-go.

Bledsoe doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to come back and he wants to make sure he is 100 percent before returning.

“I am just taking my time and going to continue to be one of the biggest cheerleaders out on the bench, and I am just going to take my time,” Bledsoe said.

The Suns have handled their business by going 14-11 since Bledsoe’s injury, which occurred just before the calendar flipped to 2014.

Earlier this week, the Arizona Republic’s Paul Coro was first to report that Bledsoe’s return was on the horizon.

Jeffrey Sanders

Jeffrey Sanders is a ValleyoftheSuns staff writer currently working toward his degree in broadcast journalism at Arizona State University. He is also involved in on-campus groups, such as the Blaze 1330 AM and CronkiteSports.com.

Twitter

Tags: Eric Bledsoe

• 1 sunsn7 // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I personally dont mind that he’s taking his time. Just hope that he knows he hasn’t shown anything but potential. Because of injury he hasn’t been able to show that he can sustain a high level of play for the duration of an entire season. Sorry but I wouldn’t max him.

If he wants to leave for LA, let him go. Suns should want a guy who you have to tackle to keep him off the court, not someone who is relatively distant and not convincing in his few comments about wanting to be here.

I like and recognize Eric Bledsoe’s game. But this is about the Suns going forward. Future in Suns basketball is bright with or without him. It’d be nice to see him dedicate himself to the Suns and fully buy in to what is being constructed here..it would be to his own benefit as well as that of the Suns.

• 2 Anonymous // Feb 24, 2014 at 9:46 pm

My heart sunk again when dirk nowitzkis buzzer beater jumped around on the rim and finally went in.

• 3 EBJM // Feb 25, 2014 at 5:11 am

The odd thing about Bledsoe’s comments is that I thought the whole purpose of removing the damaged area instead of repairing it was to get him back on the floor quicker? Sounds like he intends to get back just in time to sign a big contract extension.

• 4 hagarwood // Feb 25, 2014 at 7:31 am

Suns may need to remember that they are a small market team. It may be wise to trade Bledsoe before he gets too expensive. His ceiling may be higher than Dragic’s but so far he hasn’t shown that he’s worth more money. The best return may be to package him with a first round pick to get into the top ten in this year’s draft.

• 5 sunsn7 // Feb 25, 2014 at 8:56 am

76ers apparently considering buying out the final year of Danny Granger’s contract thus making him available for playoff contenders…

• 6 sunsn7 // Feb 25, 2014 at 8:59 am

According to ESPN First Take, Granger will be available at a “bargain basement price”

Granger/ Tucker would be quite a duo at the 3

• 7 SarverHater22 // Feb 25, 2014 at 9:31 am

Get Lamar Odom here !

Suns should let Minny win one for the first rounders sake .

• 8 SarverHater22 // Feb 25, 2014 at 10:08 am

Hope the Suns draft Montrzell Harrell , what a physical specimen .

• 9 BUTLER // Feb 25, 2014 at 10:23 am

Thank Almighty Black Jesus that Lance Blanks is no longer with the SUNS.

Blanks lobbied to bring Raymond Felton to the Suns…which would have been a perfect match for Beaseley.

• 10 Foreveris2long // Feb 25, 2014 at 11:42 am

SarverHater, regarding Harrell, I too like his game as he plays like a power forward. The one drawback is he is only listed at 6’8″ on the team’s roster which typically means is he is only 6’7″. Good scouting report SH.

• 11 sunsn7 // Feb 25, 2014 at 11:44 am

PADRE!

Good to see you drop in :)

• 12 HushPuppy // Feb 25, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Susan,

I agree with your assesment of Bledsoe. If he wants to be here then we will welcome him with open arms (hopefully not at a max price) but if he wants to go play in LA and isn’t really with us, then let him go. My only hope would be to get something for him, I hate seeing good players leave in the FA for absolutely nothing. Like you said, the future is bright with or without him.

• 13 Foreveris2long // Feb 25, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Ok Planet Orange I must be missing something. Chris Paul missed 35 games when he had his entire meniscus removed. When he returned he played with a bulky knee brace, which is a good indication he did not trust the knee. I think Bledsoe has missed 25 games for a partial removal of his meniscus and some of us are disenchanted because he wants to make sure he is 100%. Just my opinion but my desire for him to get back on the court to help the Suns make the playoffs is not more important than him being 100 % physically and mentally (fully trusting his knee).

If you have ever had knee surgery and played competitive basketball it takes awhile for you to trust the knee again. I knew from day one when he had the surgery it would be at least 8 weeks before he returned. I think Gambo wrote somewhere he thought he would return in 4 weeks but I knew that was extreme optimism. Now some question his devotion to the Suns but I am not one of them. The Bulls fans and media did the same thing with D. Rose last season just because he looked good practicing. D. Rose knew he did not trust his knee no matter what the doctors said.

• 14 HushPuppy // Feb 25, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Forever,

Good point. I’m not skeptical of his long term commitment because of his unwillingness to rush back from knee surgery, but more because he played less than 30 games with the Suns and I am scared of him wanting to bolt because he hasn’t been a part of our chemistry and this run as of late. I certaintly don’t blame him for being injured and wanting to take his time. If he is commited to us, taking his time and getting back to 100% is far more important.

• 15 Foreveris2long // Feb 25, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Yeah Hush commitment is a legitimate concern. I feel like I am talking about a girlfriend. Maybe it is blind trust but I am trusting McD and or Babby when they discuss their believe Bledsoe wants to be a part of the Suns future which is why Babby said they will match any offer he receives this summer. Now I know that could simply be a tactic to scare other teams off but I think management is sincere.

• 16 Foreveris2long // Feb 25, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I meant to say “belief”, REALLY.

• 17 m.i.milliman // Feb 25, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I think Bledsoe has more to loose by coming back now than if he waited till next season and signedd in the offseason. I can’t wait for him to get back, although I want him to wait untill his knee is better. As good as Green has been, he’s a beanch player, a very good beanch player, and we should be looking to get a solid 3 or 4. Thats what get them over the hump. Kevin Love would be nice…

• 18 SarverHater22 // Feb 26, 2014 at 9:19 am

@4Everis

Thanks bro , and very nice to chat with you again from the old days .
    I think Harrell could be a legit 6’8 , he’s a sight to see and moves well for a big .