Behind building confidence, the Suns are growing up

Posted by on December 16th, 8:00 am

PHOENIX – Like a teenage boy with a cracking voice and wispy hair appearing on his chin, the Phoenix Suns went through an awkward growth period during the first quarter of the 2013-14 season. Injuries to the team’s two best players, Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe, kept the Suns from gaining cohesion, but recently they’ve been growing up, learning how to become confident with themselves and each other.

Then, Sunday happened.

Phoenix dropped a injury-riddled but battle-tested Golden State Warriors team 106-102 by keeping the turnovers down early and then using gritty defensive stops in the final seconds to hang on.

Like a teen turned adult, you see the change in the body language.

On Sunday, you saw Dragic drill a corner three in the third quarter before squawking back at the Warriors bench as Phoenix went ahead 74-65.

“I don’t remember what I said,” Dragic sheepishly claimed, promising it was PC and triggered by a lot of chatter from Golden State’s bench. “I just yelled, I think.”

Then, with the Suns leading 102-100 and a shotclock’s worth of time left in the game, P.J. Tucker more than willingly switched with Bledsoe to guard Stephen Curry. He forced a missed shot that left Curry on the deck.

“He has so many moves and so many ways to get his shot off, that you just want to be solid and stay down and don’t go for the pump-fake,” Tucker said.

“I want that last-second defense,” he added. “I called the switch on that so quick … I live for those moments, for sure.”

Minutes later, you saw the usually stone-faced Bledsoe embracing center Miles Plumlee when, inserted for just a defensive play and Phoenix leading 104-100, the second-year center altered a Klay Thompson layup attempt. Coach Jeff Hornacek swore Plumlee got a piece of the ball, but the center finished the night with three blocks instead of four.

“They made their run,” Hornacek said of the Warriors, “but then we made two big defensive stops. So defense is what ends up winning the game for us.”

Phoenix’s players are smiling, and they have good reason. That’s five wins in a row, the first time that’s happened in the Valley since January of 2011. Back in April, the locker room was a silent and barren wasteland of a random roster with no reason to look toward tomorrow.

Now, the Suns are showing signs that they’re not only for real but have untapped chemistry to build upon. And the signs are there that they’re just now realizing it.

They’re embracing the challenges of taking on the Dubs backcourt dubbed the best shooting team in NBA history by their own head coach. They’re beginning to realize what happens when they turn the ball over just 12 times and hold the opponent to 36.8 percent shooting in the final quarter.

“I think now we’re starting to see the potential of the team, how we can play,” Tucker said. “We’re starting to really gel together and come together as a team, especially at the end of games.”

Added Dragic, who scored 20 points in the first three quarters then watched Bledsoe make the big plays in the fourth: “All my teammates, we feel strong as a team. You can see our confidence is up. We don’t panic much.”

Sans the addition of Bledsoe, the current roster hardly has a better resume than last year’s, but it does have a balanced identity on both ends of the court. It’s also building confidence in its many characters.

Back in the depths of U.S. Airways Center, you saw Archie Goodwin fixing Dragic’s collar to tidy his teammate up for the TV cameras. The rookie has only played eight total minutes in the last two games but has been the most boisterous player in the very boisterous locker room of late.

For the first time since their 2010 Western Conference Finals appearance, the Suns are five games above .500 thanks to a five-game winning streak.

“I get back home, I’m smiling, I’m having a good time with my kid, my wife,” Dragic said. “The next day, I can’t wait to get to practice and play basketball with those guys.

“We don’t want to stop here and only win 14.”

Twitter LinkedIn Google+

Tags: Golden State Warriors · Phoenix Suns · Phoenix Suns Analysis

• 1 Foreveris2long // Dec 16, 2013 at 9:30 am

Great article Kev. Exceptional leadership with Coach Horny (I loved him taking a seat next to the kid), a young team starting to trust their ability and quality guys on the roster are qualities that contribute to the chemistry you alluded to. This is really exciting because we have money in the bank in the form of multiple draft picks over the next 2 seasons and will be under the cap if a deal n deal needs to be made.

• 2 Fan in Chi Town // Dec 16, 2013 at 9:43 am

This is an exciting team for the most part, and that was a great win last night. However, I think that when Dragic or Bledsoe don’t have the ball there is too many iso situations happening. I cringe when I see Frye or Green or a couple of the other guys put the ball on the floor 20 feet away from the basket instead of running the offense. Confidence is great, but I just think in those situations when neither of the two primary ball handlers are out there they should use some better discretion to get a higher percentage shot.

• 3 EBJM // Dec 16, 2013 at 10:02 am

Man Forever, only if Blanks had taken John Henson instead of Kendall Marshall and kept Robin Lopez instead of Marcin Gortat!

Suns are going to be a victim of their own success this year if McMiracle can’t bring in a true rebounding PF who can score in the post.

If Markieff could only consistently sustain his higher level of play on a nightly base this team would have a serious shot.

• 4 Sunsn7 // Dec 16, 2013 at 10:13 am

Kool Aid is served!

“OHH..YEEEEAH!”

• 5 Dave:f32 // Dec 16, 2013 at 11:07 am

I like what I am seeing from this young team. Finally, the Phoenix Suns are headed in the right direction. Bledsoe and Dragic backcourt is awesome to watch.

All the pieces are there for an extended playoff run. And, of course, the Suns will use some picks and a player or two to move up in the Draft, and hopefully get a promising superstar like a Randle, Wiggins or Parker. Aaron Gordon and Embiid are also safe picks.

Go Suns!!!!!

• 6 Foreveris2long // Dec 16, 2013 at 11:14 am

You are giving me chills EBJM just thinking of the heightened acceleration track this team could be on with the additions you mentioned. Will Blanks ever be heard from again in any NBA front office?I suspect he will be a paid under the table,in a dark alley, never listed on any payroll scout for maybe a Division two college team.Nonetheless like you and many others I am enjoying the ride with what we have.

If we ever get a power forward who can defend the low post and score on the low block, there will be no limit to what this team can accomplish.

• 7 hawki // Dec 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm

The evil spurs come to town tomorrow…a victory over them is better than a win over the lakers at this point.

SUNSN7….I’m drinking the Kool-Aid except mine is labeled “Guinness Extra Stout”

Suns are a League best 17-5-1 ATS.
    If you had bet $1100.00 per game on the Suns to win, you would now have a net profit of $11,500.00…..not bad.

• 8 Evan // Dec 16, 2013 at 5:17 pm

We NEED to trade for Melo, no he would not mess up this team, Melo will give us a real star, we can trade Okafer and a pick. Yes he would take min away from many of our good players, but he would have for the first time in his carrier 2 legit ball handlers, we could play him at PF with Plumlee, Tucker, Dragic and Bledsoe in a lineup that would be impossible to match up against for any team not named the Heat, or Pacers.

• 9 Go Phx // Dec 16, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Melo? Just shoot me.

• 10 Foreveris2long // Dec 16, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Evan, maybe I am way off base but I am not feeling a trade for Melo. You do know he is not a good defender and considered a ball hog on offense? I say no but acknowledge your wish.

• 11 Evan // Dec 16, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Melo is a modern day Barkley, yes not as good of a defender, but what we are missing is a player who can take over a game come playoff time, because we are not thinking about tanking any more, the team defense will not be hurt as much as you think, and the fact is with Dragic and Bledsoe there is no way that he would handle the ball nearly as much, he would only get the ball in the post and open for three. It is a net benefit to have him on the team and you all know it, and the Knicks who are in tank mode are more than willing to make it happen, maybe we have the makings of a real ‘big three’ bledsoe and dragic, and melo and that can be amazing. Who else can we get that will help our team? Randolph? Meh, just would not have the same value as getting Melo.

• 12 Fan in Chi Town // Dec 16, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Evan

I’m sorry, but I too do not want Melo anywhere near the Suns. He used to play with two legit ball handlers, one named Billups and the other named Iverson. It didn’t work with either of them as well as they thought it would. Melo is a team and coach killer.

• 13 Evan // Dec 16, 2013 at 6:50 pm

He never played with 2 at the same time, which is my point, both bledsoe and Dragic are a combo of Iverson and Billups, Melo with an old K-Kidd was not bad last year, y’all are way too Cynical. Melo is a legit NBA player, and I doubt that him alone would undo the hard work ethic that hornacek has instilled on this team.

• 14 Melon Man // Dec 16, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I don’t want Melo, Love or Pau as I don’t think any of them do our team any good. That being said, if Hornacek thought Melo or the others would work then I suppose I could get behind it. Really I think comparing Melo to Barkley is ridiculous and think he’d kill the team.

• 15 Evan // Dec 16, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I mean if your fine with a team you KNOW will never make a real run in the Playoffs. Im not saying Melo will give us that, but he gives us a better chance than we currently have, especially if we give up nothing for him, on offence yes Melo plays like Barkley did, dont deny that. To win in the playoffs you need at least one player who is a threat to score 40 on any given night, and im sorry we dont have anyone who can do that. Not bledsoe, not Dragic, just a reality.

• 16 Evan // Dec 16, 2013 at 7:14 pm

We are no longer going for Wiggins, Parker or any of the other Phenoms we have to get some star while we can, melo is our best option.

• 17 Voqar // Dec 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Just say no to melo. He’s a good player but not the right kind of player for phoenix’ style.

Plus, while a bruising PF might be nice Frye isn’t all bad – he takes his defender out of the paint and only fouls people every other time down on defense…errr…he does ok on defense.

When the whole team is committed to defense it makes it easier for everyone to play defense, that’s for sure.

• 18 augg // Dec 16, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I agree with Evan in the sense that Melo does play a lot like Barkley… but I am not sure if he would fit with the squad. Plus NY wouldn’t just give him away like that. That is a 4 quarters for a dollar type of deal.

• 19 Rich Anthony, (KJL) // Dec 17, 2013 at 1:49 am

Wow.

People are STILL talking about Robin Lopez? ROBIN LOPEZ! He is a weakside shot-blocker who does a decent job when there are other stellar players around him defensively. He does NOTHING ELSE well.

Evan, you are at the front of the “lets get Melo” train, and there is no engine in your machine, let alone company.

Melo is the exact opposite of what this team needs. Absolutely awful acquisition suggestion.

• 20 Bam // Dec 17, 2013 at 3:55 am

Melo is like Rudy Gay, except that people accept that Rudy is inefficient while not Melo.

BTW i asked several teams who have had fanbase primarily of non-bandwagoners, and it turned out that *surprise!* no one wants Melo unless it involves him coming off the bench as a 6th man and having the salary of Macin Gortat.

• 21 Bam // Dec 17, 2013 at 3:56 am

several teams as in the fans of the teams. Bad wording there.

• 22 Chad // Dec 17, 2013 at 5:02 am

No to melo. I’d like to see us have a crack at Monroe if he is available

• 23 Sunsn7 // Dec 17, 2013 at 6:25 am

Yes Chad, but what would the Pistons be asking for in return? Surely they’d attempt to fleece the Suns of multiple 1st rounders and cant see McDonough going for it.

I will say, his blue collar work ethic, unselfish game and presence in the post are appealling. But I wouldn’t get carried away with the possibilities. Much rather have an opportunity to draft a Julius Randle but the Suns will stray from the Spurs/ Duncan dynasty blueprint. Some teams go for titles, some teams are content with being competitive.

Suns appear to be going for the latter…Hey, somebody has to remain cynical around here ;)

* @Hawki – good look on the Guiness Extra Stout!

• 24 Foreveris2long // Dec 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

Rich, just to cast a significant shadow on your conclusion Lopez does nothing else well other than providing weak-side help, he is in the top 20 in the league in double-doubles (points and rebounds) with 11 and averages over 8 rebounds a game.

• 25 Go Phx // Dec 17, 2013 at 10:16 am

Lopez is playing very well. He is a huge reason Portland is number one in the West.

Monroe would also be my target. I think he’d be close to perfect and is the best guy who’s actually available. I would offer Frye, Green, Indy’s pick, and our first this year (it will be mid 20′s anyway, especially with Monroe). I don’t think they’d take it, though. I think they’d want one of our better picks and/or Tucker. We should have traded Green while he was hot, lol.

• 26 Sonic // Dec 17, 2013 at 10:30 am

If Suns really want to get Monroe, they will wait till next summer when he will be a RFA. Signing him either by sign and trade (for indy pick and role player) or straight. Pistons can’t afford to pay 12 mln for Smith and monroe, and then extend Drummond to expected max level. Plus Jennings for 8mln and then some. But I would wait and look at Timberwolves situation. By the trade deadline the might be forced to trade Kevin Love. If not, they will need to do that next summer. How about Morris twins and 3 picks in this year draft? He’s a stretch 4 that we need AND the best rebounder in the game (also top 2 PF). Defensively pretty much at the same level that Frye.

• 27 J // Dec 17, 2013 at 11:10 am

I hate the Spurs but I’d love to see the Suns get Kawhi Leonard, even though I don’t really see it happening. If you brought him in and got a good big like Love or Monroe or someone else, sprinkle the bench with a couple of knock down shooters and I think we would be a legitimate conteder.

• 28 Al // Dec 17, 2013 at 11:53 am

Phoenix has the picks and the player salaries to trade for love without having to sacrifice the Morris twins. Frye is the only that may end up in the trading block if the Suns can acquire a quality PF like Love.

• 29 vtsunrise // Dec 17, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hawki,
    Please pass the Extra Stout kook-aid. This rounds on you.

• 30 vtsunrise // Dec 17, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Oops – kool-aid. We had “Kook-Aid” under the previous admin and it got flat quickly.

• 31 EBJM // Dec 17, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Forever, you know I’m keeping a Robin Lopez watch here out of respect for your troubles at our last home.

You have proved to be prophetic and rightfully are entitled to bask in the Blazer’s and Robin’s success.

I think it is quite humorous that someone makes such an absurd statement like; “He is a weakside shot-blocker who does a decent job when there are other stellar players around him defensively. He does NOTHING ELSE well.”

Well according to the article I posted a link to, his own teammates praise Robin for taking the defensive pressure off of Aldridge and the others and for doing all the “dirty work”. The intangibles that do not show up in the box score other than the plus/minus stat.

The fact is Robin has closed the talent gap between him and Brook who was an All-Star last season. Brook is carrying the hapless Nets while Robin is allowing Aldridge and Lillard to dominate.

Portland is a now the league best at 21-4! Last season they finished 33-49.

The significant difference between the two teams is at center where they dumped J.J. Hickson, a 6′-9″ PF playing center who averaged 13/10 and only a half a block per game.

They replaced him with the 7′-0″ center Robin who currently is posting 10/9 but one and a half blocks per game.

Terry Stotts has coached both seasons and yes Damien Lillard was a rookie last season but how does someone make such a dimissive comment about Robin despite the fact his own teammates love what he is bringing every night?

BTW our own Plumlee is 6th in the league in blocked shots at two per game. I think Robin is ranked 26th and Plumlee 29th in rebounding. While they aren’t anything to brag about they are both exceeding everybody’s wildest expectations.

Phoenix still has the top two Most Improved Players in Bledsoe and Plumlee. If Miles didn’t play those 55 mintues last season he would be a top five ROY candidate. I mean wouldn’t everybody be happy if Alex Len was playing and posting 10/8/2 every night?

We actually got three 1st rd picks from Indiana, Plumklee (#26), Green (#18), and this years pick. Not bad for an old Luis Scola who was amenstied just a year earlier.

But in defense of Hickson who has replaced the injured McGee at center for Denver, is posting similar numbers and the surprisng Nuggets have the same record as Phoenix.

But Hickson is 6′-9″, Miles 6′-11″ and Robin 7′-0″.

• 32 EBJM // Dec 17, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Almost forgot Forever, it looks like we were both wrong about the Kings. They actually benched D-Will in favor of Rudy Gay. Thompson and McElmore kept their starting jobs.

In their huge win over the Rockets Travis Outlaw actually played more than either D-Will and Thompson. Makes you kind of wonder why they went after both D-Will and Gay.

• 33 JK // Dec 17, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Am I the only one who agrees with Evan that we should go after Melo? The Knicks’ management have completely screwed their franchise by trading away all of their draft picks, so I’m sure that a package with one of our players and a couple draft picks would sway them enough to let him go.

• 34 Foreveris2long // Dec 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm

EBJM, Yep we were wrong about who would be benched with the addition of Gay. However I do not understand why they traded for Williams and Gay. Gay will make close to $20m next year when he likely exercises his option to stay with the Kings. Unless the Kings feel that they can compete for a championship this year or next, I fail to understand why they did it. While they are a more entertaining team with Gay and Williams, I do not see a championship run for them this year or next.

• 35 EBJM // Dec 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm

JK, the fact that George Karl was THRILLED to see Melo leave Denver and that he won COY while G.M. Masai Ujiri won EOY with Denver winning a franchise record 57 games during life without Melo while his acquisition by the Knicks destroyed all the work then G.M. Donnie Walsh had accomplished during their life after Isiah Thomas should sum up what almost everybody except for the Lakers think about Melo.

• 36 hawki // Dec 17, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Not that I dislike Robin Lopez, but passing up Roy Hibbert (who I lobbied long & hard for) to draft the lesser Lopez brother was a big mistake by Video-Boy David Griffin.

VT… If my arms were 3,000 miles long, I’d pass ya that Stout…btw it’s 78 degrees & Sunny in Phoenix:)

also…Noah Vonleh (Indiana) could have a higher ceiling than Randle…if we could package picks & move into the 8-10 draft range & get Vonleh I would be more than happy….that’s if Vonleh goes pro.

• 37 DBreezy // Dec 17, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Melo is not like Barkley, even defensively. Barkley was much more of a winner. He took a lot of Philly teams most people couldn’t name 5 people on to the playoffs in what was a very tough Eastern conference. It wasn’t just because of his skill level which Melo most definitely has plenty of, but because he actually made people better which Melo doesn’t. He’s a better shooter than Barkley, but Barkley was far superior inside, better off the dribble, better passing, better rebounding, took better shots, and was a better defender the few times he was motivated to do so mostly because he was smarter hoops wise. Barkley also allowed you to space the floor better than Melo does.

I think the struggle with Melo for a lot of people is that he isn’t a bad guy. It’s like people need guys like him and Gay who play a certain way to be bad people to justify their opinions of their games or they just start to feel that they just need another chance. What they need is to be in a complimentary role which wouldn’t happen here with Melo no matter who the pg is.

• 38 vtsunrise // Dec 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Hawki, I’m a man of 4 seasons, but this X%$#@p here is nasty these days. -7 this morning. And my gas fireplace has been finicky. My downstairs was 54 this morning. Yes, inside my house. brrrr.

Enjoy yer brew and warm(er) weather. I actually just realized that 54 degrees is a good temperature for the Guiness, but not for a living room. Barkeep, I’ll have my stout at room temp, and my room at Phoenix temp.

So, can the upstart Suns lay a beatin’ on the spurts? You know they can… On a good night.

• 39 vtsunrise // Dec 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm

F#ck Melo. The Suns should go after #1 – Black Jesussssss hisself!

Yes, that was a joke.

I will never be an armchair GM. Like Chauncey Gardiner, I just like to watch. “There will be growth in the spring.”

• 40 Foreveris2long // Dec 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Ah D’Breezy makes an appearance. All is well on Planet Orange. I thought you had taken your space ship and traveled elsewhere.

• 41 Zak // Dec 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm

No to Melo. No to any trades this season unless McD can work out an outrageously good deal. I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing in a potential one season rental for Okafor’s expiring contract though as long as it’s no one that might ruin the team’s chemistry. Otherwise, I’m happy with the team the Suns have right now. They have a good core and should only get better as the season progresses.

• 42 Lloyd I. Cadle // Dec 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Goodwin, Len and two number one picks for Love.

• 43 vtsunrise // Dec 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Nice post, DBreezy. You meant “complementary” role, but other than that it was spot on, and I’m now playing my “complimentary” yet pick’n role.

I hope you appreciate that I don’t do that for just anyone, first of all, only posts that I actually read. Which is actually a big compliment. I’m far too busy, actually. And afraid I’ll get a virtual punch on the nose from someone with 3,000-mile-long arms.

• 44 vtsunrise // Dec 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm

That was a whole lot of actually’s actually.

• 45 Dave:f32 // Dec 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Absolutely and resoundingly NO to Melo… Better yet, so no to drugs. Melo is a Beasley scenario all over again. Why would you reward a player wit a history of bad behavior and a toxic bad attitude in favor of offense (ballhog-style) and lousy defense. Melo sux

• 46 john // Dec 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

No to Melo.

Yes to Robin Lopez being nothing more than a complementary player who doesn’t do anything particularly great, but is tall enough and does enough things well to deserve a roster spot. He’s not an awful player. I think it’s wrong to pretend he is. However, if he’s one of the five best players on your team, you better have a STAR if you want to be any good. I’m totally fine with not having Lopez. He’s a dime a dozen. Just look at what Plumlee is doing.

• 47 BUTLER // Dec 17, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Hornacek won’t be hiring any nubile 21-year-olds to serve burgers to sports fans, but he can lead PHX to its first championship.

• 48 DBreezy // Dec 17, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Thanks Vt! Foreveris, yes all is well on Planet Orange more than anyone could have expected myself included. I haven’t gone elsewhere, just a lot of bad family stuff all coming up in the last few weeks and I’ve been busy with that. I see the games one way or another(still have to watch the Lakers W) but haven’t had the time to comment/read much lately.

I was stuck in an airport on a long delay today so I had some time to catch up and read a few of the articles and posts. Good reading, and McD seems to have decisions ahead of him on how he wants to build this going forward especially if the ‘easy’ solution of this year’s top 5 picks are out the window.

• 49 foreveris2long // Dec 17, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I gotcha back on the radar DBreezy. Enjoy the holidays.

• 50 Luka // Dec 18, 2013 at 12:50 am

If all it took was Okafor’s expiring contract, Markieff Morris, and a first rounder to get Carmelo then yes that’d be a risk worth taking if you are the Suns. They’d have a punchers chance of advancing to the WCF in that scenario.

The reality though, is the Knicks are going to want a player to build around. The Clippers are rumored to be offering Blake Griffin for Melo.

I’m perfectly fine if the Suns did nothing. This team is exciting to watch. If anything they should just give Bledsoe his extension now, and worry about the PF situation this summer.

• 51 vtsunrise // Dec 18, 2013 at 3:51 am

Absolutely, extend Bledsoe ASAP. Don’t mess around with a good thing and get it done.

The Suns don’t need to win another single game this season if they can just thrash the Spurs tonight.

But of course they will.

• 52 DBreezy // Dec 18, 2013 at 6:58 am

Thanks Foreveris, happy holidays to you as well

• 53 Scott // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:08 am

BTW, speaking of Robin Lopez, years ago on VotS I predicted he would go to Portland and become successful and a fan favorite. This was months if not a whole year before he was actually traded away (to New Orleans, for a one year stopover).

So, in recognition of my awesome insight, I present you with this link to LMA and Lopez in a Portland car commercial …

Not to say that Lopez is universally loved in Portland, though, as you can see by the comments following the video. ;)

• 54 SHAZAM // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:40 am

• 55 Evan // Dec 18, 2013 at 10:51 am

I can see the Melo/Rudy Gay comparison except one point…Melo is a career 26ppg player and Gay is a Career 18 ppg player, OK not the same, that is like comparing Lebron to Luol Dang. Look bottom line we need a star, we need someone who can take over a playoff game, and be able to put up 40 any given night, we dont have that, and we will never have that if we dont make a deal, because the fact is we are no longer a loto team and so will not get Wiggins or Parker. Im sorry to break it to y’all but Melo is our best option, yes I would rather have Wiggins, or Parker, but that is not going to happen, I would rather have Lebron, but the fact is that also is not going to happen either. We can get Melo and we can get him for almost nothing.

• 56 Kevin Zimmerman // Dec 18, 2013 at 11:58 am

If we assume the Suns want Melo, it’s still nearly impossible to see them trading for him. Would have to give up at least Bledsoe and/or Dragic, plus a few role guys, plus picks, I’d imagine. Basically, New York might gut Phoenix like Denver did to New York to get Melo.

Even if you think that’s worth it, Phoenix would need to be assured Melo would sign with them longterm (he can opt out this summer). And going the other way, New York would have to be certain Bledsoe, if included, would be willing to sign longterm.

My two cents is that I don’t see how this is an option at all, even if we make the huge assumption Phoenix wants Melo.

• 57 Evan // Dec 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I would not give up anything really good.

NO Bledsoe, or Dragic.

I would push this deal if I were the Suns:
    Of course Okafur (high salary to make the deal work)
    2 picks (one this year, one next)
    Either Green or the Morris twins.
    THAT IS ALL.

I think the Knicks would go for it IF they fire their current coach and elect to blow up the team.