Channing Frye cleared as Suns head to training camp

Posted by on September 30th, 6:10 pm

PHOENIX — As the Phoenix Suns prepared for training camp, a matter regarding their body count loomed. In the past few weeks, Channing Frye seemed ready to say he was back from an enlarged heart diagnosed last September, but the team remained quiet until Monday as it sought a unanimous consensus from doctors at Johns Hopkins, Columbia and beyond.

They got it this weekend, and Frye will be able to return to the court without restrictions. All along, he missed basketball but said that if he’d been asked by his family to quit, he would have. After all, Frye has his degree, which he earned during the 2012-13 season while he watched Phoenix from afar.

“I just felt like I was never done (playing basketball),” Frye said at media day as the team prepared to leave for training camp in Flagstaff. “Even when things didn’t look good, I was determined to kind of approach this like I approach everything else. I think everyone who’s been here since I was in high school knows I wasn’t always the best, I wasn’t always the strongest or the tallest. I just want to play ball.”

Frye said Monday felt like his first day as a Sun all over again. The next step is simply getting himself into shape after spending a full year “trying to stay active without being active,” he said.

Frye won’t be on any medications, and he’ll be a part of the rotation once he’s back into reasonable basketball shape. When that is is anybody’s guess. As of Monday, the forward wasn’t sure where he was in terms of conditioning, but he is completely confident he’s ready to start working out under the attention of the Suns medical staff and team doctors. It’ll just take some time.

“Nobody gets on a treadmill going 20 miles per hour,” Frye said.

It was a fitting statement considering he was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy after escalating his heartrate on a treadmill to prepare for league-mandated testing.

As for the roster, general manager Ryan McDonough likes what Frye brings as a stretch 4 or even a center.

“Every plan that we made with the team looked better with him as part of the team,” McDonough said. “It was a bit of a challenge to know what the roster would look like.

“His leadership and professionalism and the fact that he can be a mentor to some of the young guys, that is important to us,” McDonough added of the 30-year-old who is the team’s oldest player.

Who’s going to win training camp?

Phoenix took 18 players to training camp with Frye, Alex Len and Malcolm Lee limited as they recover from their respective health issues. Len just began running in pick-up games this week while Lee is coming off knee and hip surgeries in the last year.

Still, the position battles will be something to behold. McDonough doesn’t have an idea of who’ll end up where, though it would be mighty surprising if Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe aren’t starters in the backcourt.

“Jeff (Hornacek) and I have told guys throughout the summer, and we’re going to tell them again tonight, it’s an open competition,” McDonough said. “Whoever the best guys are, are going to play.”

Twitter LinkedIn Google+

Tags: Channing Frye · Phoenix Suns News

• 1 Scott // Sep 30, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I guess it’s finally official, then. Good.

• 2 OC Basketball Camp // Sep 30, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Great news about Frye being able to show up to training camp. The players need this time to gel with the new acquisitions. For him, I hope he takes things slow, because he wants to be able to hit the court without any set backs! I see a strong season ahead for the Suns.

• 3 Roger // Sep 30, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Good News for Suns fans !! Channing, when he gets his wind back and get into rythm of playing, will stretch defences. Which means Gortat will be the primary beneficiary. Ryan McDonough is probably salvating already about what he’ll be able to get for Gortat at the trading deadline. I predict a first round pick in 2015 or beyond from a contender. Ryan doesn’t need another first round pick for 2014, IMO.

• 4 Scott // Oct 1, 2013 at 8:28 am

While increasing Gortat’s trade value is good, even after Gortat is traded, beneficiaries at center could include Len, Plumlee, and Kravtsov, as they all tend to play inside and would benefit from a PF who stretches the floor like Frye.

• 5 Roger // Oct 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

@Scott

I’m also envisioning if Frye becomes part of the rotation then Morris brothers might become expendable too or Suns don’t pick up their 2014 option, maybe let them play out this season as their contracts are relatively cheaper. If Plumlee can play PF because of his lateral quickness, I think then Markieff days are numbered.

• 6 john // Oct 1, 2013 at 11:37 am

Good for Frye. He’s not an absolute game-changer or anything, but I’ve always been a fan of him as a player and as a person. I hope he’s able to fully return to form. The Suns could use some guys who belong on an NBA court.

• 7 Scott // Oct 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm

@Roger -

What I’ve read in scouting about Plumlee is that like his brother Mason he lacks the lateral quickness to defend against PFs. Both have adequate quickness for defending in the paint, but not as you go out toward the perimeter.

Kravtsov, however, appears to have the requisite lateral quickness.

• 8 Roger // Oct 1, 2013 at 3:37 pm

@Scott

My mistake. Meant to say Kravtsov and not Plumlee. I probably read the same report that says Kravtsov has better lateral quickness.

Thanks for pointing out.
    Roger

• 9 Sillmarillion // Oct 2, 2013 at 3:19 am

I’m very glad to hear that, not only as a Suns fan, but also from a human point of view. It would be a shame if he had to retire at the age of 30. And heart issues are really serious stuff!