New Suns jerseys: Who likes them and who doesn’t

Posted by on August 16th, 8:00 am

Forget any amateur design tips. The biggest sign of progress for the Phoenix Suns as they moved into a new era during Thursday night’s uniform unveiling was the presence of four newcomers and the most marketable player in the league signed as a 12th-man — P.J. Tucker.

But of all the old and interesting enough faces in Scottsdale for the Suns fashion show — Dick Van Arsdale, Pat Burke, Steven Hunter and Casey Jacobsen, among others — it was Alex Len walking onto the runway without two cumbersome protective boots around his ankles. That means he’s on track to return for training camp.

[RELATED: Check out a photo gallery of the Suns' jersey unveiling]

Caron Butler, who might be assumed to be watching his wristwatch that’s ticking down to his free agency, said the showing of fans was a good sign; at least, it was better than hearing crickets.

All is well — consider that the Suns’ uniform reveal was probably the lowest P.R. moment of the offseason and there have been worse days.

CBS Sports’ Matt Moore had a funny take on the unis with a fun quote-bubble-filled picture at the bottom. Sports uniform and logo expert Chris Creamer isn’t a huge fan.

But what did the fans think? It didn’t go over all that well. But, hey, worse things have happened.

Twitter LinkedIn Google+

Tags: Phoenix Suns News

• 1 Foreveris2long // Aug 16, 2013 at 8:25 am

The most unimaginative NBA unis I have ever seen. Someone other than McD has to start thinking outside the box on Planet Orange. We should be building momentum even with the unis. Who is our fashion coordinator these days, the gorilla? YIKES!

• 2 Sunsn7 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:14 am

Bland, plain,..plain terrible. Stack of stripes is lazy and unimaginative, not simple amd sleek.

And I still haven’t seen a good pic of the shorts and its’ already infamous “butt stripe”. Maybe, hopefully the Suns do a “one and done”and reintroduce new uniforms next season with the (hopeful) arrival of Andrew Wiggins. Suns fans sure wouldn’t hold it against the Suns brass for doing so.

• 3 Foreveris2long // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:40 am

I think I will go to court to seek a an injunction to prevent the Suns from playing in these things. However I admit I will buy the orange teeshirt as it will be a decent look with the fellas for weekend ball. I think when the Suns wear the all orange unis, the fans wear sunglasses that night.

• 4 Scott // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:12 am

@Sunsn7 -

Watch the slideshow at the beginning of the Schwartz uni article. You can click on it for previous and next shot, and pause.

The butt stripe looks like a handlebar moustache with the ends waxed. So it’s thickest running horizontally across the back below the waistband, then as it curves down the side of the legs it tapers to a point.

There’s also a thin underarm stripe that tapers to a point about halfway down the side of the jersey. It’s almost unnoticeable, as a lot of the time the player’s arm covers it.

I suppose it could have been worse. They could have put the solar flare symbol found at the bottom of the leggings on the butt. ;)

• 5 NOitall // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:19 am

Things I noticed…

NBA players shouldn’t be anywhere near “speed lines”, especially Michael Beasley.

Alex Len needs to spend some time in the weight room. Ugh, that guy might actually get a rebound if he tries hard. Doubt it though.

PJ Tucker has finally supplanted Jared Dudley. It will kinda suck seeing him in a Spurs jersey after this year [cause the Spurs are smart and will sign him - Sarver not so much].

Was it really necessary to claim that Tim Kempton actually played for the Suns? I mean, we are trying to forget that.

Casey Jacobsen? Steven Hunter? Really? Where was DJ Strawberry? How about a fashion show full of irrelevant fringe players that weren’t even NBA quality and needed to go overseas to play. Says a lot about the Suns.

IN looking at that picture, could that be our new starting 5? I am excited for Wiggins!

Oh yeah, and the Unis suck. Go back to the originals, those were tight!

• 6 Troy A // Aug 16, 2013 at 11:41 am

IF ANYONE CAN GET THE MEMO TO ROBERT SARVER TELL HIM TO STOP PLAYING AND RELEASE THE REAL UNIFORMS…I FOUND EM, AND I THINK HE IS PRANKING US! CLICK ON THIS LINK TO SEE THE JERSEYS THEY MEANT TO UNVEIL….http://www.google.com/imgres?q=NEW+PHOENIX+SUNS+JERSEY+DESIGN+2013&safe=active&hl=en&biw=800&bih=377&tbm=isch&tbnid=f8oStdsDm9sspM:&imgrefurl=http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/94101-new-phoenix-suns-uniforms/page-2&docid=2iyycCdFK8dl3M&imgurl=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/kingofleos/SunsPoss_zps366eb046.jpg&w=328&h=731&ei=xnEOUpPgFqqfiQK2sYCwCQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&page=10&tbnh=142&tbnw=75&start=93&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:99,s:0,i:401&tx=33&ty=74

• 7 Ty-Sun // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm

They could have been a little bolder with the lettering and numbers or they could have been a little more subdued and either way would probably looked better. As they are they’re sort of in-between which just looks kind of odd.

But I really don’t care about the unis. They could have been better and they could have been worse.

• 8 Sunsn7 // Aug 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Who are you kidding Ty-Sun? These uniforms suck and you know they suck!

But it’s not your fault ;)

• 9 frenchysunsfan // Aug 16, 2013 at 2:10 pm

@ NOitall:

Hey, you forgot Pat Burke was also there for presentation. The only guys missing were Tsakalidis and Danny Schayes …

I think these unis are punishment for our guys, I’m sure McD said “we won’t give you nice jerseys until you play better and win games”.

• 10 john // Aug 16, 2013 at 2:13 pm

No one and everyone. I think those are the answers you’re looking for.

• 11 Sunsn7 // Aug 16, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Hey Frenchy, let’s not forget the big taco Horacio Llamas!

• 12 CoBo // Aug 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Why is everyone up in arms over the uniforms? If I remember sports correctly, they way your uniforms look doesn’t translate into wins or losses. They could go out there and play in wife beaters with hand drawn numbers and names on em, it doesn’t matter. At the end of the day they are just jerseys, lets be more concerned about what kinda of team they are putting together…

• 13 john // Aug 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm

It most certainly helps the team in the end. More jerseys sold means more money. More money usually means better product.

• 14 john // Aug 16, 2013 at 5:01 pm

And by “it” I mean good looking unis. Not these ogres.

• 15 Scott // Aug 16, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Actually, I think I’d look good in the orange jersey, as it would contrast well with my blue jeans. But orange jersey and orange shorts with no contrasting colors? Might as well say “Sunkist” on the logo. ;)

• 16 New Jersey Hater Here // Aug 16, 2013 at 7:22 pm

@Frenchy, you forgot Joe Kleine, Oliver Miller and Socks Perry!!! Lol
    Btw if i wasnt clear in my previous posts: the new Phoenix Suns jerseys SUCK!!! And, yes, it does matter cuz i want to cheer for my team, but the eye soars are gonna make it difficult to watch… That, and losing. Hope Len is not a bust so i dont have to say see….

• 17 hawki // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:35 pm

@ Frenchysunsfan

Burke drew the short straw & therefore was chosen as representative for the Suns “Ring of Stiffs” at the new uni presentation.

Georgi Glouchkov was unable to attend.

• 18 Scott // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I’m surprised VotS doesn’t have a new poll up about the unis. ;)

• 19 frenchysunsfan // Aug 17, 2013 at 2:23 am

@ NJHaterHere:

Actually Joe Kleine was the first to come to my mind but he won a title so he deserves respect …

• 20 Sunsn7 // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:04 am

Lol @ Hawki, I was going to mention Glouchkov but didn’t because I was unsure how to spell his name…him and Zarko C. who would’ve been decent if he didn’t let that cheap shot foul scar him for life and ruin his NBA career.

I forget which @$$ hole delivered that blow..but as soon as I hear, i’ll be like “oh yeah, THAT @$$ hole!”

Anyway…

• 21 Scott // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:16 am

@Sunsn7 -

Zarko Cabarkapa was injured on a flagrant foul by Danny Fortson of Dallas, who is probably best forgotten.

• 22 Sunsn7 // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:55 am

Yeah thanks Scott…THAT asshole!

• 23 @Mikel_hAz // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:57 am

I Do Like The new unis!! Go SUNS!!! Sure they could have been better but a lot of things can!! Oh and the orange jersey Would be bada** with no sleeves! Just my opinion!!

• 24 Bam // Aug 17, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Usually new uniform serve as a purpose for mediocre/tanking teams to get people to turn up to enjoy a change of direction the team is going, with new coach, front office, players, and jersey.

Not so sure the new jerseys does that. It reeks of the way Blanks answers the media: Utter lack of class, ideas and motivation.

• 25 Scott // Aug 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm

^^ Well, I’m going to guess the design team behind these new unis might come from the Lance Blanks era. That era – which seems so firmly in the rearview mirror now – was not so long ago.

Maybe the butt stripe was based on input from Blanks. ;)

• 26 Thunder Dan S. // Aug 18, 2013 at 6:35 pm

@TroyA…those jersey’s are amazing, where’d you find those man?! That’s what they shoulda went with, lol

• 27 Thunder Dan S. // Aug 18, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Rumour had it they wanted to use Haddadi and Zeller for the presentation but they were still a little bitter about being recently let go..hahaha

• 28 KidBuxton // Aug 21, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I like them. Yeah not amazing but more than solid. Much better than the Nets and Pelicans. The purple one has grown on me a lot.

• 29 Dragic is no fan of sleeved jerseys, Len & Morris fined // Jan 16, 2014 at 3:31 pm

[…] Phoenix Suns will debut their orange, sleeved jerseys Friday night against the Dallas Mavericks. Neither the Suns’ own sleeved jerseys nor the All-Star versions released Thursday have garnered much support, to put it lightly, and Suns […]