Erik Murphy (power forward/small forward)
Weight: 240 lbs
Max Vertical Leap: 29.5”
Mike Miller, Matt Bonner. These players compare to Murphy in that they are white guys with decent but not great athleticism, with great three-point accuracy that can do other things (rebound, post-offense), but aren’t particularly great at them. Murphy will have to do what “one-dimensional” guys like Miller and Bonner have done and find a franchise that needs their specific talents, other wise their time in the NBA would be short.
- Excellent three-point shooter, especially for his height
- Fantastic work ethic illustrated by drastic improvements over four year college career
- Good fundamentals and consistency on defense
- Athleticism is not elite
- Poor rebounder, especially for his size
- Less upside than a lot of players
How he fits with the Suns:
Phoenix probably won’t have the chance to pick up Murphy in the second round, because he is around the middle and the Suns don’t pick until 57th overall of 60 (27 of 30 in the second round). Murphy also isn’t really what the Suns are looking for in a player this draft. They need someone who has the athleticism to do anything and can make plays for themselves and their teammates instead of just be a spot-up shooter.