Phoenix Suns 107, Cleveland Cavaliers 105 — Comeback complete

Posted by on November 9th, 11:14 pm

PHOENIX — They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but the Phoenix Suns returned home Friday night following a three-game road trip and came out absolutely lifeless against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Byron Scott’s squad came into US Airways Center and sprinted out to an 18-2 lead just minutes into the contest, and both the Suns and their home crowd looked left for dead.

The Suns had seen similar double-digit deficits earlier in the week during road losses to the Magic and Heat, but when Alvin Gentry and Co. found themselves staring at a 26-point differential early in the second quarter, it seemed likely that recent history was bound to repeat itself.

So, where did Gentry turn to?

His bench.

Sebastian Telfair (13 points, four assists and five rebounds), P.J. Tucker (eight points, seven rebounds and fantastic perimeter defense) and Shannon Brown (22 points) played substantial minutes in the second half, as the Suns turned a sizable first-half deficit into the largest home comeback in team history — a thrilling 107-105 victory over Cleveland. With the win, Phoenix now has its first two-game win streak of 2012-13 and is back to .500 (3-3).

In defeat, second-year guard Kyrie Irving scored 17 points to go along with eight assists. He did, however, miss a game-winning three-point attempt as time expired.

“In this league you really have to play all 48 minutes,” Gentry said. “I mean, we’ve been there where we we’re up 14, then all of the sudden we’re down 16. My whole thing was don’t have long faces. Everyone has to lift each other up and truly believe we can do this. That we can chip away, chip away, chip away and maybe find a way to win in the last three minutes.”

For the first time all season, Telfair joined Goran Dragic (season-high 26 points) in the backcourt and his 10 second-quarter points helped to whittle the lead down to 13 at halftime.

Phoenix continued to climb back in the third quarter, but Anderson Varejao (14 points and 10 rebounds) and Daniel Gibson (19 points off the bench) never let the lead go below six in the period.

Enter the Suns’ closer this season, Brown.

Fresh off a combined 42 points against the Heat and Bobcats, the Suns’ go-to option off the pine was at it again Friday night. Helped by three early Cleveland turnovers to start the fourth quarter, Brown scored seven quick points to put the Suns on top for the first time all evening, 87-85.

Brown added five more points in the final minutes of the Suns’ victory, which was almost for naught after rookie Dion Waiters pulled the Cavaliers ahead almost single-handedly. The No. 4 pick in this past year’s draft went right at Brown down the stretch and his individual 7-0 run coupled with Alonzo Gee’s three-point play had Cleveland up 98-91 with four minutes to play.

Despite needing instant offense, Gentry went with Tucker down the stretch at small forward — and it paid off both offensively and defensively for the Suns.

The second-year veteran shut down Waiters in the waning moments and added a go-ahead jump shot from the left corner with 90 seconds remaining, as Phoenix roared back for its most exhilarating win of the short season.

“We just got to do that in the first half,” said Brown. “We definitely can’t dig ourselves holes likes this because we are definitely not going to be able to get out of all of them. You know, it is definitely a good test for us early, but now that we know what we have to do, we have to go out and we have to jump on it from the start.”

After putting together their worst first quarter of basketball all season — they allowed 37 points, shot 6-of-19 from the field and committed seven turnovers — the Suns did something over the final 36 minutes of play that is often rare for a team made up of nine new faces: they fought harder and harder and harder.

Tucker’s relentlessness and “gritty play,” as Gentry called it, at the defensive end made the comeback possible, but he wasn’t alone. The Suns got another strong outing in the middle from center Marcin Gortat, who chipped in with 12 points and eight rebounds. The league’s No. 1 shot blocker added five more to his season total, including a game-changing swat of Waiters with 43 seconds remaining that led to an easy Brown layup.

“It was probably the worst basketball first quarter of my career,” said Gortat. “I’ve never seen anything like that. Not being able to score and giving up 25, 30 points in a span of eight minutes. Wins like that are definitely going to build chemistry with the team, and that’s great. A lot of people feel good about the game now.”

Gortat, who was injured on an inadvertent elbow thrown by teammate Luis Scola in the third quarter, said his flare for the dramatic Friday night had everything to do with wanting to make a big play for his teammates when it mattered the most.

“I should have had four more if I just had slightly better timing and a little more wind in my body,” Gortat said. “The last three minutes I gave up about two or three layups and everyone was upset. So on the fourth and fifth times, I went way, way harder. And, I’m happy I actually hit the ball, because if I didn’t hit the ball I would’ve broken someone’s arm probably because I swing so hard.”

And 1

• The Suns’ come-from-behind win Friday was not their largest in franchise history. On Dec. 5, 2003, a Frank Johnson-led team went into Boston and won after falling behind by 29. On March 2, 1997, the team capped a 27-point rally with an impressive win over Jason Kidd and the Dallas Mavericks. The franchise’s largest comeback at home before Friday night’s instant classic was on March 31, 2008, when Amar’e Stoudemire’s 41 points helped the Suns erase a 22-point deficit en route to a 132-117 victory over Carmelo Anthony and the Denver Nuggets.
  • Gentry said Dragic — who played 34 minutes — was exhausted to the point of being physically sick after helping the Suns complete their miraculous comeback. While the Slovenian looked at ease knifing through Cleveland’s defense Friday night — it was his first 20-point performance with Phoenix since April 2010 — he was just relieved to be a part of the special night at US Airways Center. “I’m really just excited we came back,” Dragic said. “I heard we came back from 26 points, and I’m just happy and glad the team stuck together, fought back and got the win.”
  • Shannon Brown recorded his second straight 20-point performance for the first time in his career. Brown’s 18 points in the fourth quarter Wednesday keyed the Suns’ win in Charlotte, and his 14 in the fourth quarter against Cleveland proved to be the difference yet again Friday. Asked if he views himself as the team’s closer early on in 2012-13, the two-time champion prefers a much more simple title. “You can call it what you want to, I’m a basketball player,” he said. “The other day I hit six three-point shots, and I was asked if I was a three-point shooter. I said, ‘No, I am not, I just hit threes.’ I just go out there and do whatever the team needs.”

Dave Dulberg

Dave Dulberg is a ValleyoftheSuns staff writer who recently graduated from the University of Southern California. He also works as a web content writer/editor for Arizona Sports 620 KTAR.

Facebook Twitter Google+

Tags: Cleveland Cavaliers · Phoenix Suns · Phoenix Suns Recap

• 1 Al // Nov 9, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Down 26, only to comeback and win it…AAAAAAAAAMAZING!!!!..

• 2 jones // Nov 10, 2012 at 12:07 am

Beasley continues to struggle with his shot, but he was effective in creating shots for others. He led us in assists with 5. We don’t take the lead without that pass to Tucker.

Give this team time to find some chemistry – and wins like this go a long way in building that – and they are going to be real fun to watch in a couple of weeks.

• 3 Scott // Nov 10, 2012 at 1:52 am

I liked Gentry experimenting with putting Telfair and Dragic in the game together. I think Telfair should always play with a point-capable guard.

So, should Brown start instead of Dudley?

Should Tucker start in place of Beasley?

• 4 bk // Nov 10, 2012 at 2:12 am

Notice that Wesley Johnson did not play for two recent games for the two wins.

• 5 Luka // Nov 10, 2012 at 5:35 am

Alvin Gentry actually did some coaching for once. The small back court was absolutely necessary, and is a blueprint for how the Suns play defense goin forward… One shot blocker, and lots of trapping and forcing turnovers for runouts. Dragic excels playing that way. Brown has to start after tonight.

• 6 JR // Nov 10, 2012 at 8:03 am

I don’t think Shannon should start, but definitely should finish games plus more minutes. Starters offense runs through Beasley and Scola or Goran and Gortat depends who is hot and he wouldn’t get that many passes, from bench he can run the offense and do whatever he wants. Unless you put him and Tucker, then Shannon is no1 option, Tucker take care the defence and JD an Beasley lead the bench. But it doesn’t really matters, they all will have good an bad games so it’s up to Gentry to make adjustments during game.

• 7 Scott // Nov 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

@bk -

You’d think Wes Johnson would be able to play about as well as Brown, right? They have similar characteristics (athletic, can shoot the 3), but Brown has experience as a Suns player and Johnson does not.

If experience with the system is the only issue, we might start to see Johnson come on after a few months with the team.

However, if motor is the issue (or something else), then we’ll probably only see Johnson on the sidelines.

• 8 john // Nov 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

@Scott – I know you’re hopeful about Johnson, but I honestly think he’s just bad at basketball. I don’t think there’s a lot of hope for him in a Suns uni, and with the way Shannon is playing, there’s really no need to look Johnson’s way.

It is very concerning that this Suns team goes on such dry spells. I didn’t get to watch the game last night, but from I have seen of the other games, Gentry is extremely slow to react to such situations. I know it’s early in the year, so maybe he just wants guys to figure it out while they’re on the court, but this can’t continue past the 10% mark of the season.

I’m happy for the win, but the Suns need to put together a complete game before I change my tune.

• 9 bk // Nov 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm

@Scott, I said Johnson not play create win. So, the coaches were smart not to play him anymore.

• 10 Scott // Nov 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Actually, I’m not taking a position on Johnson’s value. I’m saying he should be performing like Brown, and if he isn’t now, then he should be in a few months if all he needs to do is learn the system.

If he still can’t get onto the court after becoming familiar with the system, that doesn’t bode well for his next contract with any NBA team.

• 11 Scott // Nov 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

@john -

As for the Cavs getting out to an early lead … it was nearly instantaneous, about as fast as a team can physically get up and down the court and score layups. The Suns couldn’t make a bucket, and the Cavs couldn’t miss. Gentry called time outs appropriately, but it took the Suns a while to make the right adjustments.

I’m not a big defender of Gentry, but I think he did a reasonable job in that game.

• 12 Ty-Sun // Nov 10, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I don’t think that Brown should start yet either. He’s been playing far above my expectations and deserves a lot of praise for his play. At this point I think that the bench unit still needs him but Gentry should consider subbing him in earlier and giving him the majority of mins instead of Dudley, much like he did with Gortat and Lopez during Gortat’s first season with the Suns. Lopez started but Gortat played the majority of the time.

And I continue to be impressed by Tucker! And who would have thought that a Suns player (Gortat) would lead the NBA in blocked shots? And be 4th in the NBA in rebounds? Dragic is 6th in assists. Brown so far is having his best season ever.

Morris is the biggest disappointment so far this season. Yes, it’s still early in the season but he needs to step it up if he wants to be more than a career backup PF. Beasley is Beasley. We all hoped for more from him but I doubt anyone expected him to suddenly become an all-star player. So far he’s done well but not great. His points are below his career average but his assists and rebounds are above his carer averages. His PER is 14.22 which is slightly below average. Not great but not bad.

Telfair also impressed me with his play in this game which hopefully is a good sign for the future.

The Suns really needed this game and they found a way to win it. THAT is the most important point to me. Hopefully they can use this win to move forward and give the fans something more to cheer for.

• 13 Voqar // Nov 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Nice comeback victory but falling behind like that is too common.

There were times during that game where I was screaming f-bombs at my TV wanting someone, anyone, to remove Morris from the game and send him to d-league or something. He continually takes bad shots, blows defensive assignments, does dumb things – it’s just too much to bear at times. If he ever woke up and played consistently at his potential level and with a smidge of intelligence he’d be dangerous.

• 14 Preview: Phoenix Suns (6-8) at Cleveland Cavaliers (3-11) // Nov 27, 2012 at 11:07 pm

[...] Cavs will be eager to avenge their 107-105 loss on Nov. 9 in Phoenix in which Cleveland led 18-2 a couple minutes in and by 26 points early in the [...]