When the Suns first got Jared Dudley no one really expected much of him. Dudley came to the valley of the suns as part of the deal for Jason Richardson, a deal which sent Raja Bell and Boris Diaw to Charlotte. Since Dudley’s arrive in Phoenix he’s been nothing short of a solid player. Dudley burst on the scene during the 2010 playoff run where he and the “Super Subs” ignited the Suns with their energy, hustle, and 3-point shooting off the bench and regarded by many back then as the best bench in the league. Since Jared Dudley has been given a spot as a starter he’s been pretty solid too averaging 12.7 points 4.7 rebounds a game and was also a high percentage shooter shooting almost 49% from the field and 39% from downtown. So what’s to expect for JYD this season?
1) What will be Jared Dudley’s role on the team this year?
– It’s obvious at this point that Dudley will be one of the leaders and voices in the locker room. With Steve Nash and Grant Hill out of the picture Dudley has to be the guy to lead, he’s been on this team for almost 5 seasons and he probably knows the inner workings of the team as well as anyone. Dudley should also be given a bigger offensive role, Dudley has been one of the Suns most efficient offensive players over the course of the past two seasons shooting 48% from the field in 2010-2011 and 49% in 2011-2012.
2) Will Jared Dudley come off the bench or be a permanent starter?
– This has been truly a tough call because Dudley brings so much to the table as an overall basketball player, great shooting, hustle, defensive intensity, high basketball IQ, and being a good teammate. I still think Dudley will be the Suns starter when the season tips off. I think at this point this guy has been one of few players on the Suns who’s showed he can be efficient, play defense, knock down shots, and make energy plays at both ends of the court. There was a debate that Shannon Brown and Michael Beasley will start at the wing positions which ideally would make more sense but the value Dudley brings is just too valuable to leave on the bench.
3) What improvements can we expect to see from Jared Dudley this season?
– The best part about Jared Dudley is that you see improvement from the guy every season and even during the course of the season. Dudley’s ability to shoot curl mid-range jumpers off the screen improved dramatically as well as his overall off the dribble game. It should be expected that Jared Dudley receives more of an offensive role. Jared Dudley has good size standing at 6’8 and weighs in at about 230, it would be ideal for Dudley to work on a bit of post-game where he can post up smaller two guards on the block and either dive at the basket or take that little fade away shot; and with his shooting touch that shot should be freebies. Dudley needs to do more work around the basket, Dudley is such a deadly shooter all he has to do is raise his eye brows to get defenders off their feet which would give him an open lane to the basket. Dudley only attempted about 2.5 free throws a game, that number should and has to go up.
4) Can Jared Dudley get more than 20 dunks this season?
– Nope! Not a shot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQVMwXMDIHA