Comfort, stability brought Shannon Brown back to Phoenix

Posted by on July 25th, 4:30 pm

PHOENIX — The wake of the New Orleans Hornets matching the Suns’ offer to Eric Gordon has settled, and in a free agency period shallow in shooting guard depth, Phoenix reacted by going with someone they know.

On Wednesday, the Suns officially inked Shannon Brown to a two-year, $7 million deal with the second year of the contract partially guaranteed, and the move, while criticized to a degree, is all about stability. The shooting guard with six years of experience under his belt had a career year in 2011-12, and he pointed out on Wednesday that it came despite a bumpy first half of the season.

“The season didn’t start off the way I wanted it to but it ended well, you know, for me personally,” Brown said. “A couple games we needed, we could’ve gotten over the hump. We couldn’t do it, but it felt good at the end of the season.

“I think it’s great,” he said of returning to Phoenix, “everything about it, the franchise, the city. I feel good when I’m here.”

He showed that to the management, too. Brown kept his face in US Airways Center during the offseason, working out with the Suns’ training staff in between spending time with his wife and kids.

President of basketball operations Lon Babby said he and the front office got the sense Brown wanted to return.

“He spent a lot of time downstairs with our trainers in the offseason and actually came up and saw Lance and me one day, and really, really communicated his strong desire to be here,” Babby said. “That’s a big factor with us, obviously, to have players here who have a burning passion to be here and be part of our program.

“He had a wonderful second half of the year last year, that’s really when we were playing our best basketball,”  Babby added. “We’re hoping he will continue to improve.”

The opportunity to return to a familiar place was important to Brown. It’s a fitting feeling for a player whose consistency and style of play is at its best when he’s not worrying about playing time or overthinking. And Brown’s place on a team that needed a scoring guard after the Hornets retained Gordon made the guarantee of playing time a key factor as well.

Back to that word — stability.

After the season, Brown said he’d want more than a one-year contract. As a player who’s made a career of short-term deals, even the second year being partially guaranteed was comforting to the 26-year-old.

“The two previous years I had played on one-year contracts or contracts that were my options — I opted out because of what was told to me,” he said. “Two years with a little bit of guaranteed money is always great. But moreso, it’s just being able to play with the same group of guys for a number of years so we can get some camaraderie with what’s going on so we can come out and play to the best of our abilities as a team. That’s huge when you talk making it to the playoffs and winning championships.”

Minutes will be there for Brown. And he admitted what we all saw from him last season, when his production jumped from his season averages of 11 points and 2.7 rebounds per game to 15.8 and 3.7 rebounds per game in starts.

“I think this is more of an opportunity for me to showcase my abilities with more minutes,” Brown said when asked about his role. “I think with more minutes comes more production in my case. I think I’ve proven that. But actions speak louder than words. I just have to go out and show it.”

So is he a starter?

“I would like to (start),” Brown said. “I think I have that ability to go out there and start the game off the right way. Like I said, with minutes or continuity … you can go back and look, every game I’ve started … my production is up.”

And 1

Brown on playing with a younger group of Suns: “We got a bunch of young guys who are energetic, who are ready to get out there and battle. We got a lot of competitors that we picked up, and that’ll do nothing but help us out. When it’s time to grind, when it’s crunch time, when it’s time to go out there and get your nose bloody out there, there are some guys out there that won’t mind putting their faces in there.”

Twitter LinkedIn Google+

Tags: Phoenix Suns · Shannon Brown

• 1 Scott // Jul 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm

When Brown came to Phoenix, I thought his personality might not be a fit for the Suns. However, now that I’ve seen a few interviews and read his tweets, I see he’s a good fit.

The problem is with his game. He’s got great athleticism, and when he’s feeling it, his defense improves quite a bit. The problem, though, is one he’s carried with him from college, and that is poor court vision. It causes him to be a liability on passing, and his attempts at play creation become too visible and easy to intercept. That’s why it’s best to use him as a finisher, and not let him have the ball until he’s in a position to score.

As for Brown starting … I don’t think he and Beasley can share the ball and the wing. Likewise, the pairing of Dudley and Johnson might be lacking in offensive punch. So if Beasley is starting, I wouldn’t expect Brown to start as well, but we’ll see.

If Brown has to compete with Dudley for the starting 2 spot, maybe it will keep him motivated to play defense.

• 2 Zack B. // Jul 25, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Glad to have SB back! Wouldn’t have it any other way…Scott I agree with most of what you said. Except this: “So long as the Suns’ PGs learn this about Brown and adapt to it, he should be fine.” I agree that his court vision needs improvement, but to say learn that about him and adapt to it, is to say that he can never improve it.

• 3 sun also rises // Jul 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I still say SB is better than nothing (which is what I expected the Suns to end up with). I also laughed at the fact that the Lakers were circling him and Delonte West a while ago. It’s been a crazy off season in terms of teams going back to the contract table with dudes they couldn’t get rid of soon enough.

• 4 Scott // Jul 25, 2012 at 6:11 pm

@Zack B -

There are things that typically cannot be learned or improved. The player has to come into the NBA with them, because they will not develop. B-ball IQ and court vision are probably the top things on that list.

That’s why when you draft, it’s important to find players who already have a high b-ball IQ, court vision, passing ability, a good motor, defensive intensity, and so on.

The easiest thing for a player to pick up is offense. So it is better to pick up a player like Marshall, who has no offense, but a lot of the other qualities, than it is to pick up a player who has offense but few to none of the other qualities.

That’s why I’m down on Beasley. Sure, he’s young, but he’s already been through years of basketball. If he doesn’t have a high b-ball IQ by now, it isn’t happening. He’s also unlikely to develop the other characteristics, such as defensive intensity.

IMO, offense is the last thing a player should learn.

• 5 Jason A. // Jul 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm

We have a team of nobody’s. You can bet that will all change come playoff time. This team is going to be sneaky good.

• 6 Tim from British Columbia // Jul 25, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I like Brown’s positive attitude and think he improved alot the second half of the season. He has some good skills and is a hard worker and a good team player. I am glad he came back and think he will be an asset to the Suns. Go Suns!!

• 7 Michael // Jul 25, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Go SUNS!!

• 8 Sksyoshi // Jul 26, 2012 at 3:02 am

SB for 2 yrs is better than overpaying OJ who wanted more money and yrs from PHX than what he asked for from the Mavs. If OJ wanted the deal he got from dallas I would have preferred him but since this is not a championship caliber team yet I think stop gap moves like this one will keep the Suns atleast exciting while they transition into a new era what ever that might be.