Phoenix Suns set to acquire Wesley Johnson, pick for Robin Lopez, Hakim Warrick?

Posted by on July 24th, 5:29 pm

Per Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski:

I’ll have a more detailed analysis later tonight, but this would be an incredible trade for the Suns. They would bolster their wing depth with an underwhelming former No. 4 pick whose option for 2013-14 they could always choose to decline, dump a worthless contract in Warrick and add another first-round pick. This is much better value than I thought the Suns would ever receive for Lopez so it almost feels like something is missing. If not, kudos to the front office.

Tags: Hakim Warrick · Minnesota Timberwolves · New Orleans Hornets · Phoenix Suns · Phoenix Suns Analysis · Robin Lopez · Trades

• 1 Animan // Jul 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm

This… this… is beautiful.

• 2 Tony // Jul 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm

@Michael,

this would be an incredible trade for the Suns? Am I missing something…, the Suns would receive a bench player in Johnson and one probably middle to later round draft pick in exchange for a young and athletic center. How is this a good deal for the Suns? Please elaborate. Is Wesley Johnson a better player than his statistics indicate?

• 3 Charleston // Jul 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Pretty much , Phoenix has the best part of the deal.
    Starters:
    Dragic – Brown – Beasley – Scola – Gortat
    Bench:
    Marshall/Telfair – Johnson – Dudley – Morris – Frye
    This team WILL shock the west next season, i promise you that.

• 4 Mac // Jul 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

We’re gonna have to get a backup 5 till Jan then?

• 5 cha cha cha // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

is it really Jan. for Frye? i read yesterday that he was cleared for shooting. is he really 5-6 months away?

• 6 Gold Star for Robot Boy // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm

BIGS: Gortat, Frye, Morris, Scola. Tucker. (Hollinger says Beasley is a better 4 than a 3, so I guess he could go here, too.)
    WINGS: Beasley, Brown, Dudley, Johnson. (Any word on bringing back Redd?)
    POINTS: Dragic, Marshall, Telfair.
    No stupid contracts and six 1st-round picks over the next three seasons.
    This has been an outstanding offseason.

• 7 $un$FAN // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Pinch me, I must be dreaming… the pick HAS to be protected, this can’t be right. If it’s like top 7 protected or something I can live with that because the Wolves will be in the 10-16 range, imo.

I like Johnson off the bench, not sure how his defense is but I know he’s very long and athletic.

Suns could end up with picks #’s 8, 12, and 27 or something like that. Our pick should be a top ten pick and then the TWolves a top 15 and the Lakers one of the last 3 or 4 picks most likely. Next years draft will be fun if this is true.

• 8 David // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm

@Tony
    Johnson is a young, athletic wing who is still developing. At worst he’s an above average defender whose offense should develop better in an open style like the Suns.
    Lopez is older and projects to top out at about 8 points and 6 boards, and I don’t know where you heard athletic and Lopez together… He can’t get off the floor and hasn’t been healthy for a full year in his career. We got rid of a 10 minute per game guy and added athleticism which is probably our number one need…

• 9 steve // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:12 pm

@David

Johnson is older. Not sure where you’re getting your information.

Johnson is AWFUL. Flat out awful. I agree that Lopez’s ceiling isn’t all that great, but Johnson is a BAD basketball player. Bad.

I’m with Tony on this one. I don’t see this as being that great of a deal for the Suns (I don’t think it’s a bad deal, this just isn’t a steal or anything for Phoenix).

• 10 bk // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:15 pm

PJ Tucker is only 6’6″. He is not a big.

• 11 Shane // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Great deal for the Suns!

• 12 Scott // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm

So … the Suns are reconciled to life without Lopez … which hopefully means Frye moves back to 2nd unit C.

The Suns get a 1st round pick for Lopez.

The Suns trade the expiring contract of Warrick for Wes Johnson’s 2 years (I assume the third year is team option).

Draft Express swears Johnson can do a lot of things the Suns want, it’s just that he was misused in Minnesota (in part, by Telfair). They say that despite coming from Syracuse, he’s been defensively sound in the NBA, so at least that’s a plus.

If this trade goes down, I guess it solves a few problems.

The 2nd unit would now look like: Marshall, Brown, Johnson, Morris, Frye.

Moving Johnson to SF would help shore up wing defense, and Johnson is reportedly an efficient scorer who can share the ball with Brown. He’ll probably play better at SF than he did at SG.

If Gentry plays them this way, and the new players perform more as the fans desire, then this could be a better team than last year.

Right off the bat, putting Frye at 2nd unit C is an offensive improvement over Lopez. The Suns potentially have a situation where every player on the 2nd unit can hit a 3, and if Brown decides to get his intensity going, they could fly on defense as well as offense.

• 13 Roger // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I think FO consulted w/Beasley about Wes Johnson before the trade!!!!

Guys, first I thought we had Houston West with Scola, Dragic and Brooks (short time) and now we have TWolves South with Telfair, Beasley and Johnson. NBA recycling at it’s best.

Nice!

• 14 Tony // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm

@David I know I am just being a moron again, sorry.

@Steve Do not agree with me, I am just trying to make people angry to get the attention I do not get at home.

• 15 Scott // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:19 pm

@Tony -

Your thoughts mirror mine. However, I think the play Blanks is trying to make is the one outlined above.

• 16 cha cha cha // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Johnson for 1 year + a 1st rd pick > Warrick for 2 years and overpaying Lopez

• 17 jeremiehawkins614 // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I love this trade if it’s true and for those who are saying this is crazy u clearly are slow what is not good about this trade we get a young athletic 2 guard which we needed and the kid is good he just needed to be in a system like this one we also got rid of Warrick which gives us more cap space and we get a first round pic for Lopez come on u know damn well that is a once in a life time offer that nobody else will give cause Lopez is trash so thank you Hornets and Wolves preciate ya

• 18 Blake // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I hate the Suns FO with a passion but man are they turning it around this off season, good job Suns FO.

• 19 cha cha cha // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:24 pm

according to Hoopshype, Johnson’s contract has a team option for the 2nd year. the 3rd year is a qualifying offer which i assume is moot if the 2nd year isn’t picked up.

• 20 Luke // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Wow…I mean….wow. I’m not HUGELY excited about Wes Johnson on the team. (Yeah, he’s athletic and relatively young; it could pan out for him in PHX, but he’s not a building block, obviously.) But we get rid of Robin ‘Dead Legs’ Lopez and get a 1st round pick back?! Oh, be still my beating heart! Lopez was useless in the Suns’ system (actually, he might end up be useless in ANY system), and I laid awake at night in a cold sweat thinking the team might give him some ridiculous $40M contract. Please, God, let this trade come to fruition.

To echo a lot of other peoples’ thoughts, this has been, from a responsible, cap-clearing, asset-acquiring point of view, a fantastic summer for the Suns. They’ve brought in good, young players for reasonable $$$, stole a nice veteran presence in Scola (who, mind you, is still a totally reliable scoring big), and kept future financial flexibility open. While Phoenix obviously isn’t on the Lakers-Knicks-Heat level of bringing star free agents in by the boat load, people forget that this is still a respectable, second-tier franchise around the league, with a long history and established culture, great weather, and the unanimous best training staff in the league. Guys DO consider Phoenix when juggling free agent offers. (Well, so long as Sarver makes the offer even a little enticing, which he hates to do.) Could we have a shot at James Harden or, Lord, even Chris Paul? Maybe. It’s not the craziest thing I’ve ever conceived. Anyway, good work, Suns. You’ve set us up for an entertaining season and big future moves. I like.

• 21 jeremiehawkins614 // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Steve u stupid Johnson is not bad he is way better then what u are saying he is

• 22 steve // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Good argument, jeremiehawkins614. You’re right. I can see that now.

• 23 7SecondsOrLess // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:33 pm

He’s a 4th pick. He didn’t exactly live up to it. Michael Beasley was a 2nd pick. He didn’t live up to it either. Suns expect to revitalize Beasley. We missed out on Mayo, why not go after a 4th pick? Lets hope we can get both youngsters as good as they should be

• 24 David // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

@Steve
    I am wrong on the age sorry, but Rolos been in the league longer… With that said neither is old. But looking at the Suns system Lopez was never a good fit here and was never going to work out. To be honest I detested Lopez since college. I only know Wes from Syracuse, you mind explaining what his deficiencies are? Attitude? Defense? My thought is if he can play defense, run the floor, and is even an average shot he ll get better here. Guess I’m not so much high on Johnson as low on Lopez… Are you a Minnesota fan?

• 25 Khalid // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Great final piece of the puzzle. Very exciting times ahead. The team will surprise alot of people.

• 26 Scott // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I’m guessing a lot of the positive comments here are from fans of Wesley Johnson in college? He has done very poorly in the NBA.

I’m not familiar with him at all, so if I get this wrong, go ahead and correct me. I gather he was moved from undersized PF in college to SG in the NBA. That often doesn’t work well (recall Alando Tucker).

Once positioned at SG with the Wolves, he turned into a 3 pt shooter, which was the weakest part of his game (31%). He’s not a good ballhandler, and he is weak at creating his own offense, so he typically couldn’t drive into the paint, and the PGs didn’t set him up for cuts to the basket, so he languished.

If the Suns intend to use him properly, they’ll pair him with a passing PG (Marshall), and they’ll place him at SF, where he’ll be in a better spot for cuts and short 3s. He doesn’t need the ball a lot, but when he gets it near the basket he can score and go to the line.

Really, Johnson’s game is a lot like Warrick’s, except he’s clearly sized as a wing, and they say he can play adequate defense.

• 27 Mr. Cruncher // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm

The Minnesota 1st round pick will not be their own in 2013, because their pick in 2012 was used by New Orleans via the LA Clippers. A team cannot trade its own 1st round pick in consecutive years (see: “Ted Stepien” rule). However, according to the RealGM.com future pick details page, the TWolves own the rights to the Memphis Grizzlies 1st rd pick in 2013 via the Houston Rockets. The draft pick is listed as top 14 protected in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. Read the source details below (jump to “Minnesota”) for more information on what will occur if the 1st rd pick is not received by 2016.

Source: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

• 28 Tony // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm

@David,

yeah Johnson is older. But also, Lopez is very athletic considering his size as a legit 7′. The lack of athleticism we saw from him was due to his injuries, but as he showed in the 2nd half of last season, he’s regained much of his lost athleticism. Johnson is a horrible player, he doesn’t even shoot 40% and his PER rating is at an abysmal 8.08, which is beyond atrocious.

Furthermore, Lopez brings an intimidation factor that
    Gortat doesn’t have. Who is going to be afraid of driving to the paint with Gortat and Frye as the shot-blockers?

The only benefit for the Suns if this trade goes down is if the 1st round pick isn’t protected and if the Timberwolves have a horrible season, thereby giving the Suns a chance of drafting a better player. The Timberwolves have a pretty good young team and if Rubio comes back healthy and ready to play by the start of next season, the Wolves will end up being a pretty good team.

• 29 Russell // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Not a huge fan of Wes Johnson but I think he can be a good contributor. and has length at the 2 guard which we desperately need.

But Wes J and a 1st round pick for Lopez is a very good deal. Plus we dump Warrick.

• 30 Luke // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm

@Scott If the fans on here are anything like me, the excitement stems mostly from getting rid of Lopez for, well, ANYTHING. (I still can’t believe you can even trade that guy for a pick or another real, live NBA player; seriously, I previously would’ve been ecstatic if we got a $10 gift card to Carl’s Jr. for him. He’s just so…useless.) Most commentators agree that the NBA is moving to more of a small-ball style of play (as evidenced by Miami winning the title with Lebron and Bosh at the 4 and 5, respectively), so true centers are becoming less and less relevant. Even then, Lopez was probably, oh, Hell, I dunno, the worst center in the NBA? Seriously, what did this guy every do besides lay-ups (that’s right, layups; I’m STILL not sure Lopez can dunk) that Nash set him up for perfectly? I try not to begrudge guys too much just because they aren’t great ball players….but damn, I’m so glad he’s on his way out.

To your Wes Johnson comments, I think you’re spot on with your idea of how to use him. Just think Shawn Marion. Now, mind you, I’m not saying Wes is the player the Matrix was (esp. in terms of rebounding and defensive versatility), but if Wes can do anything, it’s cut hard to the basket for quick passes, ram home alley-oops, and shoot open, often corner 3′s, a la Marion so many moons ago. I think Gentry’s a great coach and will get more out of this kid than previous coaches have managed to. It won’t be all bad. And, again, Lopez is leaving! Hallelujah!

• 31 Russell // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm

PS the pick is not coming from Minny. It is most likely the Grizzlies 1st round pick.

• 32 cha cha cha // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm

i hold no optimism for Johnson, i’m mainly glad that Warrick’s gone; that a 1st rd’er was pick up; and the cap is tied up with Lopez get $7mil for 4 years.

also:
    @steve // Today at 6:32 pm (14 minutes ago)
    = comment of the day

• 33 phxdesertdude // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I like this trade. Lopez has been god awful his whole career. Wesley johnson has needed a new system. I think he’ll end up being the starting 2, brown should come off the bench. If Marshall is struggling then brown can push tempo. I agree with moving Frye back to 2nd unit Center he was so much better there. Starters for me would be Gortat, dragic, beasley, scola, johnson. Bench would be Marshall, Brown, Dudley, Keef, Frye.

• 34 Blake // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Lopez is worthless I am glad he is gone!

• 35 Mr. Cruncher // Jul 24, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Regarding the outcome of the proposed trade, the Suns make out like bandits in this deal.

1. The Suns apparently are not willing to meet the contract demands of Robin Lopez. In return…

2. The Suns will receive a 1st rd pick (likely to be the 2013 Memphis draft pick as described in my previous post) for agreeing to a sign and trade of a player they are not willing to oblige in a contract negotiation. Said player, Lopez, obviously has not lived up to his potential nor his draft selection.

Note: Although this goes against my argument in favor of the deal, I was actually quite pleased with Lopez’s play in the last quarter to third of the season last year. Anyways…

4. Depending on how you view the roster, the Suns are effectively swapping a 30 year old, 5th string power forward for a 25 year old, wing rotation player who is only entering his 3rd year in the league. Both players have Team Options for next year, so the contract details are moot, and if somehow Johnson thrives with the Suns, the Suns have another asset to trade or retain for the future.

To those questioning the value of the trade for the Suns, in what possible scenario is this bad? The Suns aren’t necessarily hitting a home run for a superstar, but they just hit a couple more singles. Eventually all those singles (process of asset acquisition) will return dividends and put points on the scoreboard.

Oh, and to quote Bill SImmons, “KHAAAAAAN!”

• 36 Shane // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm

@Mr.Cruncher Thanks for all the awesome info!

Go Suns!

• 37 Ty-Sun // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Well, getting a 1st round pick back for Lopez – and ANY player that has a little potential – is a good (not great but good) deal for the Suns. That puts Frye as the backup C but that’s fine with me. And if Frye isn’t ready to go at the start of the season, Scola can back up Gortat. He’s a little undersized to play the 5 but he has a wide body and played there well in Houston when they needed him to.

• 38 Reter // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Her is what I think the deal is since minni can’t receive Miller.

No gets Lopez
    Phx gets Miller, Johnson
    Minni gets Warrick, 2nd round pick.

This sounds a bit more reasonable.

• 39 Reter // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Forgot to add the first round pick to Phx but yeah that is pretty much how I think it will go down, although I may be wrong.

• 40 Shane // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm

@Reter

Suns are not getting Brad Miller LOL

Besides he is retiring.

• 41 George Z. // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm

At the end of the day heres what happened. Lopez got traded for a 1st rd pick (even though it will be higher than where he was chosen) but we avoid paying him an unacceptable contract. So that in itself is a win or at least even. Then we trade Warrick (who even though I saw some potential) was not doing much on the team for a 4th pick that is supposed to have some potential. I don’t know how much Johnson was earning, but I doubt it was as much as Warrick. I don’t know how the cap thing works 100%, but I would assume that we save cap room with these trades (if anyone knows then please elaborate). Also, I do believe we will be a sleeper team this season. I like what the F.O has done, who knows what they can do next year with a bunch of picks, expiring contracts, and cap space. BOOSH!! that just happened. Hahahahhaa GO SUNS!!!

• 42 steve // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:27 pm

@David

Not a Minnesota fan. The ONLY team I ever root for is PHX and whoever is playing the Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, or Heat.

I can’t stand Lopez either, but he’s actually been a better-than-average player by just about any measure you can find. PER & WS48 both have above average in the past 3 seasons (throwing out his rookie campaign). Last season, his per36 numbers were 14/8.4. That’s not bad at all. It’s not all-star, but it’s not bad either.

Wes Johnson, on the other hand, has been all sorts of bad. Granted, it’s a smaller sample size, so there is no telling exactly what he will turn into, but right now, the SMART money is on him remaining bad.

A PER of 8.0 last year, WS48 of .021, eFG% of .465, -0.4 OWS, a per36 line of 9.6/4.3/1.4… that’s not a good player. In fact, it’s a BAD player. That kind of player does more harm than good when on the floor.

I do like his defensive potential, and I think he would be *better* (not good, *better*) offensively in the PHX system, but the cons outweight the pros with Johnson, in my opinion.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong. I hope so, for Johnson’s sake.

• 43 Russell // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:29 pm

The Suns will get a 1st round pick and wes johnson that is all. Miller staying in NOLA. Suns now have 5 first round picks in the next 2 years and an additional 5 2nd round picks.

Phx now has a tone of cap space for next year (Wes Johnson option for 5.4 mil next year will not be picked up). So all this cap space, plus picks plus players they can trade, Suns are most likely team to land a star player via trade.

• 44 Ty-Sun // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I was wondering what was in this trade for Minn but ESPN is saying they are involved to clear cap space to sign Kirilenko/AK47.

• 45 Scott // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:40 pm

@George Z -

Actually, Warrick and Johnson make about the same money. Also, Warrick was a 19th pick, and Johnson was a 4th pick. So, even though both players may appear useless, the Suns are trading up. ;)

The only cap space saved is that which would have been used on Lopez.

Warrick and Johnson have suffered from similar problems. Warrick was clearly projected to play as SF in the NBA, but teams kept putting him in at PF, even though he was too lightweight.

Likewise, Johnson – who is a few inches shorter than Warrick – was projected to play at SF, but Minnesota put him at SG … even though it made very little sense for his skill set, and the results were abysmal.

Coaches and GMs make some apparently senseless decisions, and then stick by them.

• 46 JamRock // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I’m a fan of pretty much everything the front office has done this off season. Great move getting a first round pick for that stiff Robin Lopez…. dude cant jump, cant catch the ball and cant rebound. Warrick for Johnson, at worst is a wash, if Johnson turns out to be any good its a bonus.

• 47 Russell // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:44 pm

So will we make the same mistake? will we play Wes at the 2guard off the bench instead of the 3? The team prefers to mix Dudley at the 3 and the 2 off the bench but Dud’s best defensive position is the 3. So where does that leave Wes J? I have a feeling he will be on the bench a lot.

• 48 Tim from British Columbia // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I don’t know anything about Johnson but hope he helps at guard (broken record I know but what is wrong with Barbossa?!) I know Lopez was inconsistent and the team couldn’t count on him to come through when they needed him but I will miss him and his hair (with Fropez and Chilly gone, who will have the fun hair?) I also remember Robin being a great team player and cheerleader (I remember once when he almost fell over backwards cheering for a great spin move made by Dragon…it was priceless) I wish him and Hakim well in NO and think they will help their team (Warick had his good moments out there but hardly played in rotation)

• 49 Shane // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm

@Russel No no no, Wes will be a backup 3 and Dudley will be a backup 2 or starting 2.

• 50 cha cha cha // Jul 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm

so how many roster spots are filled right now?

• 51 Shane // Jul 24, 2012 at 8:13 pm

God we suck :(

• 52 PennyAnd1 // Jul 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm

@Charleston

WTF would you put Brown anywhere in the line up man, you crazy?!

here should the line-up be:

Gortat
    Scola
    Beasley
    Dudley
    Dragic

2 unit:

Marshall – Telfair
    Brown
    Johnson
    Morris
    Frye

YES! AWESOME TRADE! Johnson could be a future star

• 53 The Real Shane // Jul 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm

@Shane Nice try troll, but in reality the Suns did very well this off season and have set themselves up for the future.

• 54 PennyAnd1 // Jul 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm

@Steve

How is Johnson bad? He’s the same height as has skills likeShawn Marion, he’s a good 3-point shooter, and he’s known as a good defender? Why is he bad?

• 55 PennyAnd1 // Jul 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm

• 56 Zack B. // Jul 24, 2012 at 8:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGLFj-RXHHE&feature=player_embedded God I hate some of you guys. First SB sucks, now Wes is an AWFUL player? In this fan’s opinion, this is a WONDERFUL trade for us. He can shoot, he’s athletic as hell, and is a solid defender. Please don’t bombard me with PER stats, this guy is still young and has some potential. Plus we get that pick, and dump Hak’s contract, as well as get something in return for RoLo, rather than just losing him in Free Agency. I am loving this off-season for us!

• 57 cha cha cha // Jul 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm

so, i count 12 roster spots, counting Wes and Tucker. is it safe to assume they’ll pick up 2 more bench players, one of which will be a big?

• 58 PennyAnd1 // Jul 24, 2012 at 8:46 pm

@Zack

That’s true, plus his stats are deceiving since he only played 1 year in a system full of rookies. I see Wes Johnson becoming as the next Shawn Marion. He surely has some skills to match Marion. Besides, he’s not 2010s overall #4 pick for nothing. This guy’s ceiling is really high. It just really is too bad Suns made all these move right when Nash & Hill had to leave. Nash would’ve done miracles with these guys. But I believe Dragic can get it done. Let the season start already!!! Can’t wait for the throwback Jerseys!

• 59 JDazzla // Jul 24, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Love this move. Anyone remember who the heck Joe Johnson was before we traded for him? Me either. Wes could be that same move. Well done SUNS! This team, if constrcted right will make the playoffs. 1st Adding Dragic was a bigdeal. Getting him after his yrs learning with Nash and then going to become his own man where he flourished when given the startin gig was HUGE. Remember he single handedly taking down a team in the Spurs who we could never beat in the playoffs. 23 pts in the 4th and that was then. I cant wait to see what now is. Then we got my breakout player of the year Shannon Brown. Whats not to like??? Is it the nice spot up three point shot? The FREAKISH Russell Westbrook type athletisicm? The ability to cut to the lane and finish BEASTMODE style? I mean he has all the tools to be a star. Arent the coaches there to learn these guys up. Is it passion? Cuz u must have it and i believe he does. He just needs one thing. A chance! START THIS MAN and u will be pleasantly surprised. And Michael Beasley is a no brainor for me. u got him after all the growning up an learning had to be done. With other franchises! great for us. They do the work and we will now reap the benefits. This was a KID dont forget that. Not all of us mature as fast as others.His talent is undeniable, I think we got a man who has learned and grown and who will be the star he, and we all know he can be. Not to mention we will be putting him into a style that fits his game whcich is big. U must let the player do what he does best. I mean this sets up perfect with Scola at the 4 and Gortat at the 5, if you can build chemistry quick and get these guys to become a family this could be the start of the suns rising again. Now adding another young with loads of potential and getting another pick?! Well done SUNS! Now just do three things and we can get this going. Start DRAGIC BROWN and BEASLEY and get ur popcorn!

• 60 steve // Jul 24, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I won’t hold your hopeful attitudes against you, but some of you should honestly take a look at the past before you make predictions of the future. How often has a 25-year-old, 4-year college player ever made a significant leap in production after having the two horrid seasons Johnson has had so far?

I’ll bet no one in johnson’s shoes has ever gone on to have a season with a PER above 17 or a WS48 above 0.130. And it might not matter to you, but it matters to any executive in the league, and it directly contributes to wins in a more real way than any subjective judgment does.

• 61 PennyAnd1 // Jul 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm

@JDazzla

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but I’d rather start Dudley instead of Brown and I think Gentry will be smart to do just that as well.

Brown has been in this league for too long to already reach his potential. No doubt this guy has a freakish skills. Unfortunately he doesn’t have the brains to be consistent and play smart. He’s already been coached under Phil Jackson. Hasn’t he learned already? There’s a reason why this guy was dropped by LA, and the reason why he was the last option for the Suns to sign in the SG. Good athleticism + low bball IQ = bench player

*I’m not hating on Brown, the guys is a nice guy. But he never learns. He has to know he ain’t Kobe Bryant.

• 62 Mac // Jul 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Wes is 25 and has a mouse motor, whatever his ceiling is it is (1) not that high and (2) the Wolf Among Wolves guys will attest that he shows no apparent interest in reaching it anyway. Adelman is a player’s coach and he was playing with Rubio who in theory should have been the perfect PG for him, and he regressed from his unremarkable rookie year. But he’s still better and younger than Warrick and the Wolves’ first round pick could be very high (they were 5-20 without Rubio last year and he is out till February), and frankly they didn’t add that much unless you think Roy will defy medical science and revert to 2009 form. So this is a no-lose trade for the Suns, they give up little, save some money and potentially get a huge asset. Works for me.

• 63 JDazzla // Jul 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I just feel like if you have a guy with such great physical talent, out of this world athletesism u have to teach basketball IQ. Teach him to have bettern bball IQ its ball not rocket science.Its the coaching staffs jobs do get this stuff done and maybe there not doing it. This guy is a potential star and if coaching him up to learn the game is the reason he never succeeds its a real shame in my opinion. Thunder Dan talk to Shannon!!! He can get it done. I think now is the time but he must start. If he does u will see.

• 64 bk // Jul 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Actually, I kind of prefer keeping Lopez for another year. He blocks like Lebron blocked Mayo.

• 65 Cam // Jul 24, 2012 at 9:55 pm

The value in this trade is the 1st round pick. The Suns essentially get a player that fits a need better (Wesley Johnson) while getting rid of a player with no true position (Hakim Warrick). Now the Suns have the ability to parlay their 1st and 2nd round picks to move up in the draft this next year to select a player that could possibly be the star they have been looking for. They could make a run at Shabazz Mohammed if he becomes a one and done at UCLA. I like where this team is headed right now. Maybe the Suns can convince Greg Oden to sign and have the warlocks work their magic. That would be amazing.I hope this trade goes through. Go Suns.

• 66 Roger // Jul 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I just read John Hollinger’s tweet.

@LarryCoon think it got misinterpreted. BMiller should be going to Phx if that deal happens not Min.

I’m confused….

• 67 PennyAnd1 // Jul 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm

@JDazzla

Like I said, Brown’s been long enough to figure it out already. He played under a great coach in Phil Jackson, played with greats Kobe & Nash, but you can’t teach guys who likes to jack up bad shots. Just like Allen Iverson was a hard-head selfish player, Brown will never change. Hasn’t since, and I doubt he’ll ever now.

@Mac
    You can’t blame Wes for being passive in a Wolves team full of rookies who want to shine: Derrick Williams, Kevin Love, Rubio, Beasley, Barrea, etc…If he did, chemistry would’ve been in chaos. I think Wes fits well into the Suns system cause he plays well in an unselfish fast paced system. Playing alongside Marshall wouldn’t hurt as well. We could see highlights of Wes & Brown alley-oops that’s for sure.

• 68 Animan // Jul 24, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Miller is on the way to PHX as well in this deal, just so you all know. At least, that’s what ESPN is reporting.

• 69 sksyoshi // Jul 24, 2012 at 10:41 pm

The point to the trade is we needed a wing we had too many people who can play pf. Lopez lost his minutes as soon as we got gortat so there really isn’t that much of a loss there. Even if Wes sucks we don’t need to play him we had lots of games where we only really used an 8 man rotation. The depth is more for injuries even if Frye is out for a long time our frontline is more than capable with rotating Gortat, Beasley, Keef, and scola. There were times we ran Hill at pf so sliding Beasley over won’t be a problem. There has even been talk of a double pg lineup since the dragon can some sg’s. Our coach is flexible he will get the best out of what we got this off-season . Bottom line we get a pick n we don’t waste salary capspace over paying Lopez who wants more than FO is offering.

• 70 PennyAnd1 // Jul 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm

@Animan

Mike Miller? I think we got too many wings now where would he fit?

@Sksyoshi
    I would definitely like to see Marshall & Dragic play together sometimes. Dragic is a shooter himself that’s true.

• 71 Roger // Jul 24, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Brad Miller, not Mike Miller…

• 72 First Mac // Jul 24, 2012 at 10:52 pm

@PennyAnd 1
    If I’m not mistaken Miller is retiring so we’re just nomming his contract.

• 73 tb // Jul 24, 2012 at 10:59 pm

you guys know that we picked up a PF in PJ Tucker. Right

• 74 Russell // Jul 24, 2012 at 11:17 pm

@PennyAnd1

I’m sorry but comparing Wes J. to Shawn Marion is ridiculous. If WJ is half the player Marion was be happy. Marion was a freak of nature he can score a lot of different ways, he grabbed 11 rebounds a night and he hustles on every play. Wes J has a history of not putting in 100% on plays some people think he is just not in love with the game. And that’s fine, not every player is going to put in 100%.

If Wesley J. becomes a decent bench player I’ll be happy. I guarantee you he is not in the Suns future, he has a 5.4 million team option next year and there is no way the Suns pick that up because it will cripple their ability to sign a max player next year. Hey enjoy the one year here.

WJ’s #’s will look something like this off the bench:
    7pts, 3 rebs, 40% FG, 34% 3PT FG. That’s all he is. He is just a stopgap for us for one year until we get real players next year.

• 75 bk // Jul 24, 2012 at 11:23 pm

PJ Tucker is 6’6″. He should be a SF/SG only.

The yahoo said Lopez is only asking for $15M 3 years. I think it is a good price to keep him instead.

• 76 Scott // Jul 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I’m not in the camp that wants to see Lopez go. According to PER, he was better than about 2/3 of the team last year, and that was in spite of being saddled with a subpar PG in Telfair.

Put Lopez with a passing PG like Marshall, and his value on offense likely goes up. Also, if Robin is included in offense, his whole game opens up. We saw that a few times last year.

So I wouldn’t want to just get rid of Lopez. However, if he doesn’t want to sign with the Suns, then a S&T is the best solution.

Even now, by PER Lopez ranks above Telfair, Morris, Warrick, Brown, Beasley, Frye, and presumably Tucker and Marshall as well (if they had PER). Only Gortat, Dragic, Scola, and Dudley are ahead of him, and the latter two not by much. So, by PER, he’s the 5th best player on the team.

Lopez is not as useless as some on this forum contend.

If he goes to another team where he gets more playing time, there’s a decent chance he ends up looking significantly better, just like Dragic did.

• 77 PennyAnd1 // Jul 24, 2012 at 11:41 pm

@Scott

I’d like to keep Lopez too, but there’s just too much in Front with Frye Morris Scola & Gortat.

• 78 PennyAnd1 // Jul 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Actually with Scola at PF, pressure is off the Centers to score, and I personally believe that that would’ve benefited Lopez. Unfortunately Gortat is in the Way. I also believe Lopez has a better court vision than Gortat and really knows how to read plays. If suns traded Gortat for a superstar SG like Eric Gordon, I’d go for it.

• 79 bk // Jul 24, 2012 at 11:50 pm

If we have lots of big, we can foul guys as much as we like. That’s very cool.

• 80 Mac // Jul 25, 2012 at 12:58 am

@Pennyand1

I follow the Wolves and watched probably 20 games of theirs a year on League Pass. I’m not claiming to be an expert but I’m sorry . . . being on a young team didn’t keep guys like Pek and Rubio (to say nothing of Love who is younger than Wes) from showing what they can do. Wes has no motor and he’s not a little kid, he’s older than all three of the Big Three in OKC. They drafted him as a low-ceiling high character guy and he turned out to be a low-ceiling passive high character guy. You say “he was just in a bad situation” sure, that’s possible. But I feel quite safe in predicting he won’t amount to much. Again, I still think this is a good trade for the Suns no matter what, and they’ve made really good moves this offseason. But saying Wes has to be good because he’s Marion’s size and drafted high is like saying Hasheem Thabeet has to be good because he’s Mutombo’s size and drafted even higher. Wes is a stiff and he is not a freakish athlete except in the sense that most NBA players are freakish athletes. Just so you know what you’re getting.

• 81 Phoenix Suns proposed trade of Robin Lopez, Hakim Warrick for Welsey Johnson, pick a brilliant maneuver // Jul 25, 2012 at 1:23 am

[...] Woj’s original report included the Hornets sending Miller’s contract back to Minnesota, but that is not possible [...]

• 82 Greg // Jul 25, 2012 at 7:19 am

Agreed @ Mac, and @ Penny.

Marion!? Shawn Marion? The Matrix? A freak of an athlete in his prime who averaged 17 and 11 in his second season and ran everyone off the court and became a double-double dunking machine?

If you really think that is a possibility, then I guess Beasley has a chance to be Lebron or Durant….Actually sadly, Beasley may have a better chance of being Durant than Johnson has of being Shawn Marion.

Neither will happen, but lets not forget how good Shawn Marion use to be. He was an underrated monster on the court.

As mentioned by Mac, Johnson is 25. T-wolves drafting a 4 year college player (only 3 seasons in 4 years because he transferred) who didnt have a good season until his senior year, was a big mistake in the first place. You dont draft late bloomers in the top 5.

So at 25, his potential window is closing pretty quick. He could end up giving the Suns some quality minutes off the bench, I am not saying the guy is hopeless. I like what he can potentially bring to the Suns, but lets not start throwing out Shawn Marion potential possibilities.

• 83 Greg // Jul 25, 2012 at 7:25 am

@ Penny, and if you have continued your Gortat bashing to the point of saying “he is in the way” of Lopez? haha Gortat is much much better then Lopez will ever be. Gortat isnt in the way, he is simply far superior to Lopez, meaning he is ahead of Rolo, not “in the way”
    Gortat for a “superstar” like Gordon (he is not a superstar at all….yet) would not happen, because a according to you, Gortat is an awful player that single handedly drove Nash out of PHX…so how would he be an option to trade for a superstar sg?

• 84 Zack B. // Jul 25, 2012 at 10:38 am

I find it sad that you guys feel you can just determine when a player’s window is closed/closing. In my opinion, any player below the age of 30 still has a window. So to say SB, Wes’ windows are closing is weird to me. Athleticism can go a long way, let’s not forget that. These are grown men we’re talking about, we cannot determine what they are capable of. This is why I love the Most Improved Player award. SB was certainly a candidate. Point being, a summer is a decent amount of time to make significant improvements. Not only that, but you guys cannot forget that this was a condensed season. Either way, only time will tell.

• 85 Greg // Jul 25, 2012 at 10:53 am

True, but I am speaking on a players potential. 25 is the universal age in the NBA where teams slowly back off of guys that have “potential” because realistically, if you haven’t put it together or atleast shown some type of success by 25, your window is closing in the NBA. 25 is also an age where athleticism is at a peak or a constant until like you mentioned, around 29 or 30. Then decline kicks in. Only superior work ethics are the cases where you will see guys make leaps from ages 25-26 26-27 and so on. Obviously Johnson’s windown hasn’t “closed” but its definitely creeping. And his 2 seasons up to this point just havent been bad, they have been horrible. literaly no light at the end of the tunnel or any type of glimpse that he has the potential to become the number 4 pick from 3 years ago.

a 21-22 year old that has had the lack of Johnsons success would be given a pass. But Johnson was the age of a 4 year college guy, and he wasnt even a “great” college player. He had terrible production at ages 23 and 24, which any NBA team is much more concerned with that then a younger guy that struggles.

Actually, teams stay away from 4 year college guys because what you see is what you get in alot of cases.

Shannon Brown will never be much more then a 10-15 point guy, whether as a starter or a bench guy. Coming up on 27, we arent gonna see him make a huge leap. Not one that a younger guy, like Beasley, can make from 23-24.

• 86 PennyAnd1 // Jul 25, 2012 at 11:34 am

@Greg

I agree with you about Gortat being better than Lopez athletic wise sure. But if you want to go to stats like you like, the PER thing, with more minutes, Lopez is actually more productive.lol But! the only reason Lopez didn’t play much with Nash & the system was do to lack of speed, and it’s not his style. That’s why I was disappointed, Lopez & Gortat together on the court wasn’t utilized that much. Lopez is more productive when playing under the radar and not being the man playing pick n’ role. And besides, everyone knows smarts tramps muscles everytime.

• 87 PennyAnd1 // Jul 25, 2012 at 11:40 am

And1 Greg

Wes only had 1 year to showcase himself. If he shows that player he was in college, where he was confident (due to chemistry = which comes through time), he’d be a superstar by no time. That’s why it’s too bad Nash & Hill are gone. Those two guys build chemistry to perfection in no time. But like I said, I believe in Dragic + Scola is around.

I believe Wes Johnson was in a bad situation just like Boris Diaw was a bad fit in Charlotte with a bunch of rookies & low IQ players. A high IQ player exceeds well when playing with high IQ teammates. Just like when Diaw played with Nash & Hill the Suns were deadly.

• 88 Zack B. // Jul 25, 2012 at 11:56 am

I see what you mean Greg. But no glimpse? At all? Come on man. Perhaps I overvalued him a BIT, you are undervaluing him. Creeping, I agree. Eh, we won’t know SB’s work ethic until this season. Yet I still have more faith in him than Wes. And he has shown more potential for sure. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt. Now if they don’t have good seasons, that’s another story. I’m encouraged that with training camp, pre-season and a full season, most of our guys will come out and have good seasons. My All-Star predictions for our new team? Mike Beez and Gortat. Dragic can put up All-Star type numbers, but I’m not so sure he could beat Westbrook, CP3 in a popularity contest. SB could be too, but he would have to really breakout. Wes, I think he will be solid, never an All-Star. Scola, no, but solid. Morris, I can’t judge that just yet. It will be easiest for Gortat, judging by lack of dominant Centers. He’ll be competing with Bynum, Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, JaVale McGee, etc for the next few yrs. While DJ and JaVale CERTAINLY are not on Gortat’s level offensively, they are quite popular. If Bynum goes to the Magic or Cavs, that makes it a lot easier. For Beez it’ll be tough. KD has locked up the starting 3 in the West for many years. Rudy Gay is a sure-fire breakout All-Star and he will lock up the backup 3. We’ll see.

• 89 Greg // Jul 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Penny and1…i didnt read any of your posts, except for the first couple sentences..

find me where Lopez is more productive then Gortat. tell me which stat tells us that….

i will be waiting forever for an answer because you wont find one .

• 90 Greg // Jul 25, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Diaw was a bad fit in Charlotte because his work ethic plummetted and he ballooned up to 270 pounds of soft blubber. Did you see him in Charlotte? He was barely running up and down the court…that was laziness, not chemistry. He’ll have you even seen him now compared to the Suns years? Boris also hasnt had a good season since 2005-2006….6/7 years ago…he was 23, not 30. Boris isnt very good.

Superstar for Wes? You are kidding right?

Kevin Love was in the same “poor chemistry” atmosphere you speak of?? So was ricky rubio. so was nikoli pekovic….

So will Kevin Love averaged 36 points and 19 rebounds because of the improved chemistry?

Will Rubio averaged 17 points 19 assist?

1 year to showcase himself? he had two years at Iowa State, wasnt very good, trasferred, sat a year, and put up nice looking college numbers at Syracuse….And he STARTED 63 games last season….

I dont want to ever have to debate or discuss basketball with you again because you are literally clueless.

• 91 PennyAnd1 // Jul 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm

@Greg

I stopped reading your comments along the middle paragraph. Obviously you don’t how the game works. Why do you think Diaw underperformed? because of the situation and teammates around him. Even a little kid knows that he won’t be effective in school if the environment is stressful. It’s logic. If you don’t understand that, you better take psychology.lol

@Zack B.
    Sorry Zack, but Brown will never be a good player as long as if he keeps playing dumb.

• 92 Greg // Jul 25, 2012 at 1:34 pm

@ZackB.

I have higher hopes for Shannon too, he is a nice scorer, good athlete, but not necessarly an explosive one. I only really saw him dunk if he had a clear path to the basket. Never saw him dunk in traffic a whole lot. He doesnt get to the free throw line and he doesnt penetrate. But, I like Shannon, I hope he does well, and I hope he improves….lets be honest, he isnt gonna be anything special. he will be a nice scoring spark. thats it.

As far as Wes goes…yes I said it. No glimpse. The dude started 63 games and had 9 10+ point efforts. he doesnt rebound, his defense has been average maybe slightly better then average. He cant shoot 3s. doesnt get assist. He has literally shown no glimpse of being the talent people thought.

So far, there hasnt been light at the end of the tunnel. His rookie season he showed some flashes, and then he completely fell off the face of the earth, despite starting 63 games.

Beasley wont make an all-star team for a few years even if he does break out. He needs to win over some fans and get his reputation up before he makes an all-stat team.

Dragic has all-star written on him. But, with Nash, Cp3, tony parker, rubio and now lin all in the popularity contest….it will be a few years for him too.

Morris has ability to score a ton of points! Him and Beasley will be 6-9/6-10 scoring machines in a year or so. they will create matchup problems, on both ends, for many teams.

Shannon Brown will never be an all-star. period.

Gortat has a chance if he can develop the finer parts of his game and prove he can score without Nash. which i think he can.

• 93 Greg // Jul 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm

@ Penny…he had 3 poor/below average years with the Suns AFTER his only good year with the suns…..what are you talking about Penny???? what happened to the chemistry with the Suns? what happened to Nash? he was still there…. he wasnt in good situations then??? and it was still 7 years ago!!! you dont just all the sudden land in a good situation and start playing good because of chemistry, Boris isnt that good of a player….thats why he isnt good. we will see how good he is with the Spurs, the best chemistry situation possible…oh wait, he still wasnt good with the Spurs…..

lol take psychology for logic?? why wouldnt i take a logic class….you are seriously an idiot.

• 94 Greg // Jul 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm

p.s. you never told me what stat shows that robin lopez is more productive then Gortat….still waiting on that one you pulled out

• 95 Zack B. // Jul 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm

To be honest I didn’t follow Wes last season, so I can’t argue about last season. And yeah I completely agree, why isn’t he posterizing EVERYONE? He has more hops than a whole lot of people who get plenty of dunks on people. The fact is, he settles. He could get to the line as much as Bron if he drove and went for more dunks in traffic. He’s really quick too! Frankly, if I had his leaping ability, I would try to dunk everything. Lopez > Gortat? I don’t think there is any aspect of basketball that he is better in than Gortat. I still disagree with the no glimpse part about Wes, but hey that’s your opinion, you’re entitled.

• 96 PennyAnd1 // Jul 25, 2012 at 10:13 pm

@Greg

Like I said, the stats don’t tell the whole story, get it in your head. Suns having Diaw made the Suns an elite. He stats may not tell the story but his presence did make a difference. Why do you think Nash wanted Diaw last season when he was available? Cause Nash knows having Diaw would make it easier for him. Psychology man! psychology.

Man I don’t think you’ve played basketball in your life. I’ve been playing the game since I learned how to run, I know how the mind works in basketball. And I know a stud when I see one.

And1
    I said Gortat was better than Lopez athletic wise true, he could even be better than Lopez in terms of rebound & defense. But Lopez is a better player in terms of knowing how to read the game. Man did you forget how Gortat chokes during critical moments? Like I said, stats don’t tell you the whole story. Gortat messes up during critical times everyone knows that.

Oh and don’t get me started with Brown. Wes can drunk through traffic compared to Brown, that says it all.

• 97 Greg // Jul 26, 2012 at 7:46 am

lol you are a joke

• 98 Greg // Jul 26, 2012 at 7:49 am

you said Lopez, when he gets the minutes, is more productive then Gortat. If that is true, even though stats dont tell “the whole story”, there would be a statistic showing he is more productive. if the stats dont match up what does a guys “knowing and reading the game” have to do with anything? seriously lol, i smile everytime i read your post

• 99 PennyAnd1 // Jul 26, 2012 at 10:00 am

@Greg

well I’m glad I make you smile. It’s all about the presence man. Just like when Jordan or Nash hits the floor, everyone is inspired. Lopez brings toughness that’s for sure.

• 100 Greg // Jul 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

did you really just compare Lopez to Nash and Jordan as far as inspiration goes?? even if you werent making that comparison, mentioning Nash and Jordan in the same post with Lopez as far as inspiration and toughness goes made me smile again, thank you Penny, I am sure i will lead a much healthier, happier life smiling and laughing more often haha.

on a serious note, you often make solid points on here, its just this tangent we went off on we are far apart on agreement, so lets agree to disagree.

Go Suns