Phoenix Suns could add instant offense if Jeremy Lamb falls to No. 13

Posted by on June 13th, 10:37 pm

There are plenty of knocks on former UConn shooting guard Jeremy Lamb.

At 179 pounds most say he’s too thin. Some say he disappears in games. Others think his shy and reserved personality is partially to blame for UConn’s disjointed season a year ago.

But for all the criticisms and shortcomings, there’s one thing Lamb can do: put the ball in the bucket.

“One thing Jeremy can do, he can step into a game tonight for example in the Celtics game and he can make baskets. If Rondo split and kicked out to him he could make baskets,” UConn head coach Jim Calhoun said a couple weeks back when the Celtics were still in the playoffs. “There’s no doubt in my opinion that he’ll be a double-figure scorer in the NBA. He’ll score points. He can light it up.”

That’s exactly what Lamb did in two seasons at UConn after leaving high school as an unheralded recruit. He exploded during the Huskies’ NCAA Tournament run two seasons ago as he shot 68 percent from the field during that stretch.

Lamb considered leaving UConn to enter the 2011 Draft, where he would have been a surefire lottery pick. The 6-foot-5 guard opted to stay at UConn for one more year to develop his game, and while he upped his scoring average to 17.7 points per game, the Huskies fell well short of expectations and lost to Iowa State in the first round of the tournament.

“He had a good season, not a great season and he’s the first to admit it,” Calhoun said of Lamb. “We went from the absolute heights of having an 11-game win streak, won 33, won a national championship, then coming back and trying to duplicate that. We didn’t really have the kind of flow, chemistry, whatever the word is. They’re good kids, they got along, but it just wasn’t the type of season that Jeremy would have liked to have.”

Regardless of the down year, Lamb is still a lock to be selected in the lottery — ESPN has him at No. 11 and DraftExpress has him at No. 8. While he was inconsistent at times last season, he continued to show why NBA scouts fell in love with him two seasons ago.

His length (6-foot-11 wingspan), athleticism, and deep range make him an intriguing prospect at the next level, a prospect that fits Phoenix’s needs quite well. The Suns are looking for a wing that can shoot it, create his own shot, and defend. Lamb is still working on his isolation game, but there’s no question he can score in bunches and light it up from beyond NBA 3-point range.

“I’ve seen Ben Gordon. I’ve seen Ray Allen. I’ve seen Richard Hamilton,” Calhoun said. “I’ve seen the guys who can really put the ball in the hole and he has the most length of any of them, and by length I mean he can shoot it from distance, true distance, like 25 feet comfortably.”

It’s no secret Phoenix could use that scoring punch, and if Lamb were to fall to No. 13 it would be tough for the Suns not to pounce. Although Lamb is a project in terms of his build and isolation game, he has a great offensive feel, is a smooth operator and can put the ball in the hole, which the Suns need in the worst way.

Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz is a former ValleyoftheSuns writer who now works as an assistant video coordinator for the D-League\\’s Bakersfield Jam. He specialized in video breakdowns for VotS.

Tags: Draft · Phoenix Suns · Phoenix Suns Analysis

• 1 Scott // Jun 14, 2012 at 1:36 am

Jeremy Lamb could go as high as 4, if someone prefers him to Beal. That’s not impossible.

I think #8 is probably the lowest he’ll go.

• 2 KeZ // Jun 14, 2012 at 2:33 am

What do you guys think about Jeffery Taylor from Vanderbilt? I personally like his game alot. He´s a 6,7 combo guard with great defense, good courtvision and a nice shooting stroke. He´s not afraid to attack the basket with great power and finesse.

• 3 Rich Anthony, (KJL) // Jun 14, 2012 at 3:26 am

Kez, that vid sent my anti-virus into angry mode so I’m not watching it.

Again, if Lamb is there and the other desirables are gone then it’s a good pick.

I still like Waiters over him though. That dude is going to attack the paint and get to the foul line.

• 4 KeZ // Jun 14, 2012 at 3:53 am

@ Rich Anthony

What!? Thats fudgin weird! It´s a youtube clip….

• 5 D.P. // Jun 14, 2012 at 4:14 am

Personally I don’t think lamb will be there by the time we pick. I’m hoping we get Terrence Ross.he does everything that we need shooting ,defense , athlete , and good upside. Not a big fan of waiters

• 6 Scott // Jun 14, 2012 at 9:58 am

@KeZ -

Currently Jeff Taylor is projected to go late in the first round, at #26.

Normally that would indicate a player whose potential is far below that of the #13 pick, but I see a lot of players with similar potential between say the 8th pick and the 38th pick.

To me, this is a year where the number of picks your team has is more important than the order of your pick (outside of, say, the #1 pick).

• 7 sun-arc // Jun 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm

@KeZ- he’s an intreging prospect if we get a 2nd pick further down.

I like Lamb, but still think Ross is a safer pick. Though, Lamb could be great in our system, and if we retain Nash and Hill, he’ll have some good guidance.

If he is still there at 13, that is.

• 8 HankS // Jun 15, 2012 at 2:11 am

More and more I’m thinking the Suns should try to buy an additional mid-to-late first-round pick, so that they’d draft both SG and SF. Reportedly, Perry Jones keeps sliding, and then there’s the intriguing Royce White. Both high-risk, high-potential guys, and the talent-starved Suns might want to give either one a try.

What do you, guys, think?

• 9 Scott // Jun 15, 2012 at 3:42 am

@HankS -

Royce White is too much risk for me. I could see him being picked up late by a team like the Lakers, which rarely drafts early, as the risk / reward ratio would look better to them.