Markieff Morris a safe pick for Phoenix Suns squad still trying to win with Steve Nash

Posted by on June 24th, 12:56 am

PHOENIX — The Phoenix Suns remain squarely in “win with Nash” mode after selecting Markieff Morris with their lottery pick in Thursday’s NBA Draft.

Morris’ toughness and rebounding provide Phoenix with critical missing pieces, and the former Jayhawk’s ability to space the floor makes him a fit offensively in a Nash-driven system.

Purely thinking about 2011-12 and however much longer Nash’s Phoenix career lasts, the Suns weren’t going to do much better than Markieff Morris sitting at No. 13 in a weak draft.

Thus Morris’ selection further signals Nash is going nowhere (as if the Lon Babby loop of “We aren’t trading Steve Nash” comments didn’t already do so). This franchise is not yet ready to rebuild and will continue its quest for one of the final Western Conference playoff spots next season.

Thinking long term I would prefer a Nash trade, a tank season after the lockout and then a top 2012 selection to go with whatever you get back for Two Time.

So long as the organization isn’t on board with that scenario, it’s time to start thinking about a Nash contract extension. It’s one thing to refuse to trade Nash, but it’s another to get nothing for him now and then watch him jet next offseason.

Back to Morris, his selection most likely represents a single or a double at best.  However, unlike many potential options at No. 13 he’s practically a guaranteed single, a safe pick, as Mike Schmitz wrote.

He’s going to rebound, he’s going to bang in the post, he’s going to bring toughness and athleticism. Markieff Morris is going to be a rotation player for a number of years.

However, unlike so many wildcards in this draft, Morris is just as unlikely to be a top-three player on an elite team anytime soon.

Of course, Morris and Blanks questioned why everybody is so sure Markieff lacks a high ceiling.

“I think he’s growing as a player,” Blanks said. “It’s really hard to predict who’s trending upward or sideways or who’s maxed out based on how they were in college because this is a totally different environment. … I think the reason why you don’t hear about people talking about his potential is he has a maturity that is rare for a young man his age.”

Added Morris, “My goal is just to win and be a winner. I’ve always been a winner. A lot of guys say I don’t have upside, but we’re going to see.”

The other question often asked about this pick is why select Markieff when his more-heralded twin Marcus and expected top-10 pick Kawhi Leonard were still on the board.

As for those two players, the obvious answer is that the Suns sought a power forward rather than more glut at the three. Leonard was enticing because he also projects to be fairly bust proof, but the Suns just could not add ANOTHER small forward. They also must have seen Marcus as more of a three and preferred the skills Markieff brings to the table as a player with a definitive position at an area of need.

Although I would have rather seen the Suns take a Justin Upton-sized swing on the pick that could have netted a superstar with a sizable possibility of striking out, was there really anybody there with star potential?

Making their first pick as a front office with the No. 13 pick in a weak draft isn’t exactly the time to obtain the franchise’s next star.

Instead Babby and Blanks filled in another crack with a player who should be another quality role player.

“It’s extremely important to get a player like Markieff,” Blanks said. “This gives us an opportunity to lay our imprint on this organization and this team. This is our first draft choice and first opportunity through the draft to do this. Very excited to have the opportunity to pick, but also a pick that reflects who we are and what we want to be about.”

The Morris pick and the Suns’ refusal to dangle Nash or Marcin Gortat for a potential young superstar in Derrick Williams proves the team will continue to attempt to rebuild on the fly, and for next year’s purposes if they find a way to replace Vince Carter with a quality shooting guard this could be a playoff team.

But one day Nash will no longer be around, and the events of tonight brought the Suns no closer to finding a potential future star. Instead Phoenix played it safe and filled a need.

Still, there are far worse fates than drafting a likely rotation player at the end of the lottery in a crummy draft even if there’s nothing sexy about selecting Markieff Morris.

Tags: Draft · Future · Markieff Morris · Phoenix Suns · Phoenix Suns Analysis · Steve Nash

• 1 Richard // Jun 23, 2011 at 6:00 pm

BPA at need position. Disappointing outcome. Hope he’s a difference maker, but feels years away.

• 2 Mangatang // Jun 23, 2011 at 6:21 pm

The Suns sure do love drafting inferior twin brothers…

• 3 suns critic // Jun 23, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Bromance!

• 4 KLS // Jun 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I’m glad it’s not Shumpert but this is just disappointing…again

• 5 Matt Manske // Jun 23, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Leonard would have been a safer pick and he could have learned a lot from Grant Hill this season.

Markieff however is a good defensive player up front and should compliment Gortat nicely with his outside shot. Should be a great backup to Channing.

• 6 Matt Manske // Jun 23, 2011 at 6:40 pm

And I realize that the chances of me eating my words are high. Worst case, Suns have a terrible year and swung a trade to get a good lottery pick next year.

• 7 suns critic // Jun 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Gani Lawal!

• 8 luis // Jun 23, 2011 at 6:56 pm

they should rebuilt da team in the offseason by making tradesfornext years draft

• 9 WeAreSuns // Jun 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm

What “hole”? Warrick and Frye are there, and both are mid-level guys. Does Warrick earn money as a 11th or 12th man? Is there a deal?

• 10 Steve // Jun 23, 2011 at 7:42 pm

We keep the trend of drafting the worse brother. Great. Hello, mediocrity, we’re going to get very familiar with each other. Ugh, it’s tough being a suns fan.

• 11 Cam // Jun 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm

So far the Suns have definitely underwhelmed in the draft. All these trades have been happening and so far not one involving the Suns. They could’ve gotten Hamilton from the Mavericks, the could’ve done so much. Boo. Go Suns I guess.

• 12 I hate the Suns!!! // Jun 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Just the thought of this pick makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe I don’t have patience but were destined for failure. Did we not learn our lesson with side show Bob. I hope I’m wrong about this twin brother. If not due Steve Nash a favor and move him to a contender. I hate to see the guy not win a championship. Why Suns why? Stop hurting our franchise! !!!!!

• 13 Cam // Jun 23, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Unless the Suns do something before the lockout starts throughh trades I would consider this draft and offseason an epic failure. I just need to get ready for another year of mediocrity. Nice to see the Rockets turn the 23rd pick we traded them, along with an average center in Miller, into Donatas Motiejunas and Johny Flynn. I would’ve be happy if the Suns had given that 23rd pick and Fropez for a young PF/C and a young PG. I wonder, now that the Rockets have Flynn I wonder if Dragic will be released. Maybe the Suns can pick him up, although he probably won’t want to come back. Disappointing night overall. Go Suns.

• 14 Cam // Jun 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I can’t believe Jordan Hamilton was available at 26. Stupid Suns.

• 15 Keith // Jun 23, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Great pick. Markieff was the best available at 13, especially for us. We did not need a wing. He is going to give us what we do need: toughness, rebounding, and efficient big-man scoring. We couldn’t have done any better with the pick. I said this morning he was going to be the target if we stayed at 13, and that was correct. I am happy for him and the team.

• 16 GoSuns // Jun 23, 2011 at 9:47 pm

With this pick, I guess were setteling for the team we have? Come on management and make up your minds are we re-building or trying to contend cause picking up somebody who is not polished takes time to develop. We could have picked up a more polished pick and did we just abstain from trading because of what happened last season.

• 17 Matt Manske // Jun 23, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Really with the 13th pick the team wasn’t going to dramatically improve this season. Any trade would likely make the team worse short term. Thankfully next year’s draft is deeper and with any luck we’ll get a real potential star.

• 18 Bryce // Jun 23, 2011 at 10:09 pm

You nay-sayers will bite your tongue soon enough. I wanted them to draft Markieff! He is is the perfect fit for the style of play we have. And unlike his brother, he is a true 4! This has nothing to do with being the inferior brother. He’s got a true NBA position. Marcus is a tweener. Plus, add the fact that Markieff had 8.3 rebound/game in a little over 24 mins a game! AND HE PLAYS DEFENSE! Again, you will all eat your words once the season begins…..whenever the season begins

• 19 Markieff // Jun 23, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Whatever haters. At least I have a sick ass name.

• 20 auggie5000 // Jun 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm

LOL @ Markieff!

@ Keith… best available option? Was his brother Marcus, who the concensus says is the better twin, not available at the time?

I’m not super disappointed, because this guy can hoop. But what I really want to know is what was going through management’s minds when they chose him? It’s like they wrote, “M. Morris” on a sheet of paper and David Stern took it upon himself to choose.
    I can’t wait for the press conference.

• 21 Cam // Jun 23, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I’m not so much disappointed at the pick the Suns made at 13. I’m disappointed that they weren’t able to swing even one little trade to try and improve the team with another player/pick. It sounds like the FO just made their pick and then packed their bags to go home. Go Suns.

• 22 DJ ECM // Jun 23, 2011 at 11:16 pm

What I want to know is why are we not talking Monta Ellis???? Apparently the Warriors want Lopez so I wonder If the Suns have even inquired about packaging Vince Carter’s expiring contract and Warrick or Childress, although I like both players, for Monta. Golden State is shopping Monta right now and they just drafted Klay Thompson, this seems like a no brainer to me. We would have Nash and Ellis in the backcourt with Gortat, Morris, and Frye up front. Go get Nene or Chandler, do what it takes. Add Hill, Dudley, Brooks, and maybe resign Barbosa, now you really have a realistic chance of competing in the west.
    It’s really that simple, the orginization just needs to make it happen and spend the money and go for it.

• 23 Rich Anthony, (KJL) // Jun 23, 2011 at 11:19 pm

So.. Yeah.

**looks a #26, sees Jordan Hamilton still on the board**

Uh, okay first of all at the end of the day I think that, on the NBA level, this guy will be the better brother. Barely. Keep in mind were not talking about Dominique vs. Gerald Wilkins here. They will both be good. Great? Eh..

Secondly, Channing Frye is now on the trade block.

Third, this is all so stupid. Don’t believe me? Read on.

– Suns want improved rebounding and toughness inside from a 4 who can also draw fouls.
    – Suns employ and start a 4 who’s job is to remain outside and bomb away. He is not to post up or camp inside due to spacing issues.
    – Suns, instead of drafting a rebounding hawk or a 3/4 tweener that is big enough to bang and dive inside pick a guy who’s skill set will end up being used almost EXACTLY like FRYE.

He better be able to dominate in our system. There are no excuses now. He better know how to pivot on that PnR and he better be money on that mid range jumper and he better gobble up all rebounds opposite Gortat.

I’d be shocked if Frye wasn’t the main cog in a trade package now. Unless he’s ok getting 35 MPG off the bench.

• 24 a24 // Jun 23, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I vote for Jerry Colangelo back as owner. I have zero confidence in Sarver as an owner and te people he puts in charge to make these basketball decisions. we are destined to be mediocre as long as Sarver has control of this team

• 25 DJ ECM // Jun 23, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I’d be willing to move Frye, Lopez, and Carter for Monta Ellis. Losing Channing would actually hurt us, so maybe try to get another big from GS in the deal. Or, preferably, Trade Lopez, Carter’s deal and Warrick for Monta and then sign Nene. Like i said, instant contenders.

• 26 DJ ECM // Jun 23, 2011 at 11:36 pm

And a24, I agree with you. I hate to say it, but it just doesn’t seem that our owner knows what he’s doing.

• 27 Keith // Jun 23, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Frye is not on the trading block. Warrick is, but probably unlikely we find a taker. We’ll see. In any event, Markieff is the perfect 4 for our system, will fit with the other plays, provide a great pick and pop game for Nash, and provide defense, toughness, and rebounding. And yes, he is better for us than Marcus. Marcus is a tweener, more of a 3 and face-up game. Markieff is the better fit.

• 28 Ash // Jun 24, 2011 at 12:10 am

We ain’t getting monta Ellis so just stop. I love this pick. I’m guessing all the haters are the people who just looked at a mock draft and saw him lower than Marcus and who know nothing about his game. If we have enough faith in him, I can see us starting him at the 4 and moving Frye to backup 5 again were he can help improve the bench a lot. But that obviously hinges on wether we move Lopez.

I doubt any team will trade for or can trade for Carter’s contract, so that leaves pietrus or chilly and Lopez or warrick as our tradable assets, even if we throw in some picks I doubt we would get anything better than Ben Gordon or Wes Johnson back.

We are one piece away from being a 50 win team again, all we need is a SG to score 18ppg, oh and we have to sign Aaron brooks IMO.

• 29 DJ ECM // Jun 24, 2011 at 12:26 am

Ben Gordon wouldn’t hurt. But we really need another superstar besides Nash. If we don’t get that guy, unfortunately I think all of this talk is pointless. I need the front office to show some balls and make it happen. We’re really not as far off as a lot of people think, just need that 2nd superstar. @ASH I feel you man I just wonder why this WOULDN”T work. I think Mark Jackson and co would do it if Monta’s truly on his way out!!

• 30 Ash // Jun 24, 2011 at 12:34 am

@DJ it does look like he is on his way out, and I would love to have him in PHX but unless we give up Gortat I can’t see us having enough to get him. Lots of teams would be willing to give more for Monta than the Suns. You are right though unless we do trade for a guy like him we will be stuck in mediocrity.

• 31 Rich Anthony, (KJL) // Jun 24, 2011 at 6:53 am

A lot of you guys are missing the point that gets lost in all of this.

Before that point, no. We do NOT need to match any offer that may come Aaron Brooks’ way.

Everybody keeps talking about how Morris is the right pick. The safe pick.
    Everybody keeps talking about how he fits in our system and everybody assumes that it will be him to start at the 4 and Frye would go to the bench.

That is the problem.

I know you are all thinking about a 4 who can bang, draw fouls, hit an outside jump shot, and smash it home on a dive off of a nice pick.

Right.

Problem is, an attacking 4 doing all of those things, (Amare), needs his space. It used to work because the 4 was attacking and he had that space because the 5 was Channing Frye keeping things spaced or Matrix holding another big man outside.

Right now? Thortat is opposite all of that action. That creates a problem.

Pick and Roll action, the way we run it, dictates that Nash will roll his man off of the 4 or the 5. He attacks and the pick man rolls. The space is there because the opposite “big man” is out on the perimeter along with the SG and the SF.

In this new scenario, Morris or Gortat is still fairly close to the hole, that means that defender can sag but it also means that our guard and small forward can’t go back door to the rim because help is already nearby.

Morris isn’t fast enough to take his man off the dribble and attack the basket without a screen action. So if he’s in there, then he’s going to be sitting around 18 – 20 feet which puts him out of position for any sort of offensive rebounding. Exactly like what happens now.

So don’t be expecting any sort of amazing rebounding rate on the offensive end.

On the defensive end, Nash will still get beat which causes all sorts of break downs which ends with either Gortat or Morris having to come over to challenge. That means there will still be one Suns big man trying to get rebounds versus at least 2 big men from the other team plus a guard.

I hate to say it, but we got rid of the wrong guard last year.

Dragon / Dowdell would have been nice going into this season, and this new defensive philosophy we are trying to evolve towards would be in full effect.

As long as Nash drives the car the team can’t go in that direction, so really I would have rather seen them take Hamilton or reach for a potential 20PPG project.

Perhaps that is still on the horizon.

• 32 Phx Fan From Ny // Jun 24, 2011 at 7:49 am

Wow Is what i thought of this pick,for all that rebounding and toughness they were blabbing about getting they could of went ahead and drafted Kenneth Faried And Even better went to go get Chris Singleton Smh

• 33 Lloyd I. Cadle // Jun 24, 2011 at 8:32 am

I like this pick for the Suns. The Suns have always be reluctant to play rookies. That has to change here.

Morris should get at least 20 minutes a game. By the three quarter mark in the season, he should be a solid pro.

If the Suns didn’t draft Morris, they would be seeking this type of player in a trade.

You build your team around big rebounding fours and fives. This is what the Suns are doing with Gortat and Morris. (Plus both can also score.)

Now, with the decline of the Lakers, get a shooting guard and you are back in the hunt!

By the way, a future front line of Morris, Gortat and Childress is going to be pretty good.

• 34 Rich Anthony, (KJL) // Jun 24, 2011 at 9:32 am

Back in the hunt for what?

OKC isn’t going anywhere. Denver had a fantastic, (FANTASTIC), draft. Dallas isn’t going anywhere. Spurs aren’t going anywhere. Portland isn’t going anywhere.

At this rate we’ll be lucky to survive the Sacramento / Anaheim Jimmers.

I mean really, in any normal draft, (where most of the disgustingly good college talent doesn’t stay in school running in fear in the opposite direction of a possible NBA lockout), Morris is lucky to crack the first 2/3 of the first round.

I’m sticking to what I said. Once that knee is all better and he’s ready to go, Lawal, (if still a Sun), will be more important to the team than Morris.

I mean really, I hope I’m wrong in the long run and that this guy ends up being beast mode, but I just don’t see how he fits especially in the Nash era.

• 35 Steve // Jun 24, 2011 at 9:57 am

This was a big mistake. Big big mistake. But I see some good that can still come of this through the trades that have been happening. With all of these guys moving and our trade chips still in tact, I can see us getting rid of Nash/Gortat/Lopez and some combination of Childress/Pietrus/Warrick. I don’t know why some are so dead set on NOT trading Nash or Gortat. You have to trade good players to get good players in return. The SA’s of the world won’t hand you Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and DeJuan Blair for Warrick, Childress, and the remains of Robin Lopez. Btw, if Manu ever wore a Suns uni, I would still vehemently boo him at the arena every single time he touched the ball. He is EASILY my least favorite active professional athlete.

• 36 Ben LeBeau // Jun 24, 2011 at 10:28 am

Great post Rich, you’re right on point.

I’m dissappointed that we didn’t pick Leonard or Singleton. Leonard was simply the best talent available and it was a gift that he fell so far. The F/O seems to have stuck with the player they tabbed from the outset as likely being available, and going with it. From what I’ve seen, Mk. Morris can only guard one position, the 4, and will probably be burned by those 4′s with strong face-up games. Leonard will be shutting down guys at the 2, 3, and 4. I would have enjoyed seeing him fly in from the wing (which is where you’ll see Mk. Morris standing) like a mutant Jared Dudley to grab offensive rebounds in a PHX jersey. Alas…

Similarly, Singleton is projected to be a defensive ace at the 3, 4, and possibly 5. If we were determined to get a PF who could bang, rebound, and defend, he would have been my pick. Like Leonard, he’s just more functional and brings more to the table as an NBA player. Offensively, Mk. Morris may be a little better, but at this point in the draft, nobody on the board had an offensive game to make anyone swoon.

But then again, what do I know? I hope I’m wrong. Go Markief. Go Suns.

• 37 Zak // Jun 24, 2011 at 11:01 am

I really don’t see this as a mistake. Morris obviously isn’t going to start and I can see him being the “designated rebounder” while Gortat is getting a rest. Frye and Gortat will still start at the 4 & 5. When the second unit comes in you’ll have Morris and Lopez (or hopefully someone else) at the 4 & 5. Morris may actually fill a need on the second unit that Warrick wasn’t able to fill.

And unless there’s a lockout, the Suns have plenty of time to either make some trades or just see who they might get on the free agent market this year. Carter’s contract is still a nice trade chip for teams wanting to shed some salary or there aren’t any good offers then the Suns can just buyout his $18mil salary for $4mil and use that money on free agents.

Whatever happens, the Suns could improve a lot this year although not into real contenders. I must admit that the Suns front office hasn’t given me too many reasons to be confident in their decision making though. But I doubt that taking Markieff was really a bad decision.

• 38 Evan // Jun 24, 2011 at 11:21 am

WE GOT THE WRONG TWIN AGAIN!!!!!!!!

• 39 Lloyd I. Cadle // Jun 24, 2011 at 11:29 am

Jerry Colangelo recently stated that the difference between the Lakers and the Suns is 21 feet (Kareem, Wilt and Shaq).

In other words, the Suns have never really had a decent NBA center.

Now that the Suns finally have a potentially great center (Gortat), the folks are talking about trading him. Do we really want another 40 years of a bunch of wings, no center, and no championships?

The importance of a legit NBA center is similar to the importance of a Q.B. in the NFL. You can’t win a championship without one.

Regarding Channing Frye. He is so underated. Why would he be on the trade block? He plays defense, is improving his inside game and he is one of the top outside shooting big men in the game. (Look how the Suns faltered at the end when he was out.)

If possible, the Suns should push for a package that includes dumping Lopez (at 23 years old, and at 7’1 there may be a sucker out there) in getting the SG that they need.

• 40 Steve // Jun 24, 2011 at 11:57 am

I totally disagree with Jerry about the Lakers. I think Kobe, West, and Magic were all just as responsible for those championships, if not more, than the bigs. The most important position in the NBA these days is the 2/3. The 5 is the second-most important position, but I’d call it a distant second. Unless you have someone like Hakeem or prime Shaq, a 5 isn’t going to be enough (and Gortat is nowhere near Hakeem or Shaq). Gortat is a good center with the potential to be an all-star grabbing 12 boards and putting up 18 points per contest. That’s good, but it’s not the type of stuff that is going to win you a championship if he’s “the man.”

Btw, since I’m ranking positions by importance, I’d say the 1 is the LEAST important position in the NBA game, and we’re completely dependent on our 1 for everything. Sound like a recipe for success?

The question shouldn’t be, “Why would a good player be on the trading block?” It should be exactly the opposite. Good players go on the block because you know you can get a ton in return if others know their value is great enough. ANYONE in the NBA could be traded. But the reason you don’t see the Kobes, Durants, LeBrons, Wades, Howards, Pauls, etc, of the world traded is because anyone who doesn’t have him probably doesn’t have what it takes to get him. Even LeBron could be traded if the price was right. Granted, that price would probably be Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum, which would probably never actually happen. But I guarantee that anyone could be traded if the offer was sweet enough.

You aren’t going to turn Robin Lopez into anything good unless you’re lucky. You aren’t going to turn Marcin Gortat into something bad if you’re smart. See the difference?

• 41 Lloyd I. Cadle // Jun 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Steve – West only won one championship. Do you really think that West would have won without Wilt in the middle?

Magic? Would Magic have won without Kareem in the middle? They probably would have been the Utah Jazz without Kareem.

Kobe? The difference between the Lakers of that era was having Shaq at center.

Steve Nash is every bit as good as Magic, West and Kobe. The difference is Nash never got to play with a Kareem, Wilt, or in his prime; Shaq.

I’m just saying, that the Suns have waited 40 years to finally get a legit NBA center (Gortat). Why deal him? Good centers don’t grow on trees, and they are very hard to come by.

• 42 Lloyd I. Cadle // Jun 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Last add NBA centers:

While I don’t think that the Lakers will get him, why do you think that the Lakers are drooling to get Dwight Howard? Because they are a franchise that knows the importance of having a great center in order to win a championship.

The Celtics of the 1960′s had a bunch of great wing players and a great point guard. But, having Bill Russell in the middle is what led to 11 championships in 13 years.

• 43 z // Jun 24, 2011 at 1:18 pm

i really like Leonard AND HIS BIG HANDS . the spurs always know who to pick from the draft.

• 44 Steve // Jun 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm

@Lloyd – “Steve Nash is every bit as good as Magic, West and Kobe.”

That’s all I needed to hear. Delusion. No point in arguing any further, I guess.

• 45 Deni // Jun 24, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I think its a very good but not great pick. I was actually hoping after Tristian Thompson got picked that the Suns would have Markieff next on their board. Thompson would have been an A but Markieff is a very solid B. He fits the system and his teammates. I say keep Frye as the starting power forward and bring Markieff off the bench. Give Markieff big minutes when playing against players such as Zach Randolph. Frye can slide to the 5 to rest Gortat if Lopez doesn’t turn it around. The Suns got bullied at the 4 last year. I believe Markieff will alleviate some of that, ie bounce with the bigs of other teams. The bad is the Suns still need a starting shooting guard. I was thinking if they could do a sign n trade for restricted free agent Nick Young from Washington. They also need to decide if Aaron Brooks is going to be the backup and future point guard of the franchise.

• 46 Keith // Jun 25, 2011 at 11:10 am

You are right on point, Deni. Agreed totally. Nice to hear truth amongst all the insane noise. :)

• 47 Steve // Jun 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Truth?

“I think it’s [sic] a very good but not great pick.”

What is “truthful” about that? It’s an opinion, and Deni even stated it was.

Btw, if Kendrick Perkins can’t handle Zach Randolph, what would make you think Markieff Morris can?

• 48 Zak // Jun 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Perkins was/is over rated because he played on a team with four great players. Morris won’t be able to “handle” Randolph either but he should be able to at least make players like Randolph work harder for their points than Frye or Warrick.

• 49 Steve // Jun 25, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Ok, if Tim Duncan/DeJuan Blair/Antonio McDeyss couldn’t handle him, what would make you think Markieff Morris can?

I could go all day with a counter-argument. The point is that ALL of this is opinion.

• 50 Pick&Roll // Jun 26, 2011 at 2:55 am

I was praying for Jimmer! I was hoping Nash can coach him up for his last year with the suns because there is no way he returns to phoenix next year. but oh well, instead of attempting to move up in the draft or dealing for george hill we offer aaron brooks a contract extention smh GO SUNS! -__-

• 51 Keith // Jun 26, 2011 at 10:25 am

I disagree with that, Pick. Steve is a loyal guy, and I think there is at least a 50/50 shot he wants to return, probably better. The window to trade is closing. The window for him to get more in FA than he will get here is closing too. The older he gets, the more likely he stays.