Klay Thompson 2011 NBA Draft: Strengths and weaknesses

Posted by on June 19th, 1:35 pm

Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz is a former ValleyoftheSuns writer who now works as an assistant video coordinator for the D-League\\’s Bakersfield Jam. He specialized in video breakdowns for VotS.

Tags: Draft · Phoenix Suns · Phoenix Suns Analysis

• 1 Finley // Jun 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thompson’s obviously a versatile player.

I honestly can’t wait for the draft, so many options for Phoenix to pick late in the lottery.

I doubt Kawhi Leonard drops to 13, but if he did, would Phoenix consider him? I guess the same question for Chris Singleton. It all depends on what PHX needs for the roster, which seems to be a big man rather than a wing.

• 2 Michael Schwartz // Jun 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm

You’d have to consider Leonard for the value alone, but if they draft a wing it really needs to be more of a true scorer/shooting guard type. A guy like Hamilton or Thompson would fit that bill.

• 3 KLS // Jun 19, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Did Phx even work out Klay? I remember reading someone saying their pick will most likely come from their workouts but I don’t remember any mention of Klay working put.

• 4 Cam // Jun 19, 2011 at 8:34 pm

@KLS: I think he worked out the same day Jimmer and the Morris twins did. If I remember correctly Jimmer made a mention of him in the Youtube clip that he posted. Not 100% sure though.
    I like Kawhi Leonard but I don’t think he drops. There are too many teams ahead of the Suns that need athletic wings. I definitely don’t think he get’s passed the Jazz at 12. He would fill in the vacant SF spot that AK47 left. I hope that the Suns get Hamilton and find a way to trade Pietrus, and if necessary something else, for a late 1st or early 2nd to get a Jeremy Tyler (C) or Darius Morris (PG) type of player. After giving away Dragic and after the debacle that was Fropez last season the Suns need to find a way to strengthen those positions for the future. Go Suns.

• 5 Rich Anthony, (KJL) // Jun 20, 2011 at 1:48 am

You know what I look at in a guy who is going to be asked to be ready to accept a pass and fire it into the chest of the other team for leaving him open?

Purity on his jumper.

This guy’s jump shot is the same.

exactly the same.

Every single time. Fade, stop’n’pop, on the turn, off the dribble, on the catch and release. Same shot.

Offensive rebounders love guys like him too because his ball is going to go in or, if it misses, depending on his shot and where he’s at on the floor, it’s not going to end up flying in that many directions.

If this guy gets drafted by our Suns, you have to worry about JMZ being part of some trade.

**ACHOOJORDANHAMILTONOOO!!**

Excuse me. Anyway, yeah. If this guy gets drafted by us, JMZ is probably gone. If that Morris twin gets drafted by us, Frye might be gone. That’s how I’m looking at it.