Trade links: Goran Dragic-Aaron Brooks reaction

Posted by on February 25th, 11:42 am

Opinion on the newest Phoenix Sun, point guard Aaron Brooks, isn't particularly positive so far. (AP Photo/Pat Sullivan)

The Suns again surprised Planet Orange on Thursday by dealing reserve point guard Goran Dragic to the Houston Rockets for Aaron Brooks.

Most (even team management) thought the Suns weren’t going to make  any moves at the trade deadline, but when the Rockets made Brooks available, the Suns decided one more change couldn’t hurt. With Brooks aboard for the playoff push, here’s what they’re saying about the trade…

• Houston Chronicle columnist Jerome Solomon doesn’t seem impressed with Houston GM Daryl Morey’s maneuvering, and isn’t expecting much from the new Rockets: “Go ahead. Think about the trades with Memphis and Phoenix and try not to yawn. Is the person next to you yawning, too?”
  • Paul Coro of The Arizona Republic was able to get Dragic on the phone for a reaction. Coro reports that Steve Nash was the first to learn of the trade after turning on his phone when the team landed in Toronto, and he was able to get to Dragic before Dragic got to his messages.
  • Fellow TrueHoop blog Red94′s Connor Winn wasn’t pleased with the Rockets’ return on Brooks, arguing that he and the rest of Rockets nation had overestimated the point guard’s trade value: “Was I happy when the www.dailypuppy.com reported that the Rockets were in the preliminary stages of forcibly packing Aaron Brooks’ suitcase in exchange for a Pomeranian and a twelve pack of Purina? No, but I was less thrilled when I read Brooks was headed to Phoenix in return for Goran Dragic and a first round pick.”
  • Despite what Suns brass had to say last night about the trade, ESPN columnist Bill Simmons jokes (jokes?) that the trade means more: “Phoenix’s acquisition of Aaron Brooks (for Goran Dragic and a future No. 1 pick) opens the door for Nash’s departure this summer to Vancouver Relocated Franchise X. Can’t you see Nash crying during the Canadian national anthem at that first home game? He’d either be crying because of the emotion of the moment, or because it just dawned on him that Phoenix came within a botched boxout of Game 7 of the 2010 conference finals and then immediately gutted that team.”
  • The Phoenix New Times‘ headline pretty much sums up their feelings about this one: “Goran Dragic Shipped Off by Phoenix Suns for Ball-Hogging, Brick-Shooting Houston Rockets PG Aaron Brooks.” Ouch.
  • At SB Nation Houston, Rivers McCown calls this one for the Rockets: “Regardless of whether you think Brooks or Dragic is the better player, I think it’s clear the Rockets win this trade on value. It’s a pure challenge trade for the Suns, who are under pressure from their ownership to make the playoffs this season.”
  • Doug Franz of ArizonaSports.com says Suns management made another bad move and blames them for Dragic’s regression this season.
  • Finally someone who likes the trade is ArizonaSports.com’s Greg Esposito … but he also thinks it isn’t what the Suns needed.

Tyler Lockman

Tags: Aaron Brooks · Goran Dragic · Houston Rockets · Links · Phoenix Suns

• 1 Steve // Feb 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Haha, my text just got on Sports Interactive on KTAR, and the tools running the show today are all for the trade, trying to throw down my text. I said:

“Why do we hate draft picks? Brooks is an inefficient, undersized, score first guard. This does nothing for our future.”

They said something along the lines, “Why wouldn’t we need a score-first guy on the bench when our bench is so stagnant?” Blah blah blah…

Ummmm… maybe because he is an INEFFICIENT SCORER. He’s a 41% shooter who is never going to get the line. He is not the type of guy who can carry a team offensively. He is the type of guy who can bury you in the cellar with his awful shots. Aaron Brooks is Vince Carter 2.0. You heard it here first.

Now we have a useless shot-taker in the starting lineup and one on the bench. Hooray Suns, you’re terrible at making decisions.

• 2 Matthew // Feb 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I’m so upset about this trade that I want to punch Ryan Appleby in the face.

• 3 Zak // Feb 25, 2011 at 3:20 pm

For me it always comes back to the Suns throwing that 1st round pick into the trade. I just can’t see Brooks being worth Dragic AND a 1st round pick.

• 4 Andrew // Feb 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm

As Simmons said we came a botched box out of Game 7 against the NBA champs…we may have won Game 6 had we won Game 5! Take that…even put Amare aside because of health/maybe not wanting to be here any longer. We never replaced him. Warrick? Turk? We now have an aging Nash and Hill, Dudley, Do or Die Frye and Lopez from a title contender. Great management on Sarvers part wheeling and dealing with out a GM for so long. Now we got yes man blanks and yes man Babby. Remember those days when there were “Fire Kerr” chants when we were winning 55 games….those were the days….

• 5 Zak // Feb 25, 2011 at 4:24 pm

@ Andrew, I mostly agree. I think Frye is still improving his game although he may top out any time now but I’m still impressed by his effort even though he’s still inconsistent. Gortat I love having on the Suns and I hope he will be around for a long time. He’s a great “blue-collar” type of player. Not rally flashy but he always does a hell of a good – if not great – job on the court. And I love Steve and Grant but as you say they are aging and not really a part of the Suns’ future. Everyone else on the team are basically roll-players although very talented roll-players in some cases. Calling Brooks the “heir apparent” to Nash is just crazy. He’s a very expensive (because of the 1st round pick) band-aid for the second unit which may or may not work. The future looks very bleak for the Suns to me. 2-3 years from now I wonder if people might not be comparing the Suns to this year’s Cavs and asking, “Will the Suns break that 26 game loosing steak?”

• 6 Andrew // Feb 25, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Yeah I agree with all you said Zak. Gortat has definitely been the bright spot/positive note of this up and down season. He will be my favorite Suns player when Nash and Grant retire or move on. He will be a great starting center one day…he almost is a starter minutes wise. I’m nervous about this heir apparent Nash talk tho. That is the biggest decision for the Suns since they signed Nash years ago! I personally believe that will determine the difference between a lower bracket fringe playoff team or Cavalier status until we get another legit superstar. I’m fine with Brooks off the bench but he doesn’t seem like our PG of the future…hopefully I am wrong and he plays like last year.

• 7 Zak // Feb 25, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Lol. I meant to say “role-players” but I wrote “roll-players” instead. No excuse for that.

• 8 Steve // Feb 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Anyone who thinks Brooks is going to morph into a pass-first, 10-assist guy is really reaching. I wonder if the guys on talk radio get paid or are virtually required by their employers to applaud the Suns on this deal. EVERYONE who doesn’t have ties to the Valley hates this trade for the Suns. Everyone. I think the only people who like this deal are blind fans.

• 9 mirza // Feb 25, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Pathetic .. He brings this guy who is a ball hog and who has a shitty attitude just so he can make the 8th seed and make a couple extra mill .. Oh lets lose a draft pick in the process and lets hope we get bounced out of first round by Spurs so we can fall out of the lottery also .. Im sick right now .. I hope Dragic becomes a star I really do .. People talk about he regressed this year bit in my eyes the team didnt give him a real opportunity to show what he can truly do .. It seems he rarely looked to score .. Good luck trying to get Brooks to be ur puppet master when he starts jackin up horrible shots .. Hollinger knows whats up

• 10 fifty shades of grey movie // Apr 29, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hola! I’ve been reading your website for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the great work!

• 11 Stephen // Aug 18, 2013 at 7:47 pm

excellent publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m sure,
    you’ve a great readers’ base already!