Farewell, Taylor: Suns waive reserve forward Griffin

Posted by on July 26th, 1:45 pm

Taylor Griffin's time in Phoenix proved to be short-lived. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

In a shocking unexpected totally predictable personnel move Monday, the Phoenix Suns waived little-used reserve forward Taylor Griffin.

In what may have been among the shortest press releases in team history (all of two sentences), the Suns announced the move and provided Griffin’s rookie season stats:

Griffin appeared in just eight games for the Suns as a rookie in 2009-10, averaging 1.3 points in 4.0 minutes.

Not much time on the hardwood for the University of Oklahoma product, but still more experience and statistical accomplishment than his younger brother Blake, who was taken No. 1 overall by the Los Angeles Clippers in the 2009 NBA Draft and proceeded to miss the entire 2009-10 season with a knee injury.

This moves comes as no surprise, as Griffin hasn’t shown much growth in his time with the Suns, nor has he displayed that he brings any value to the team outside of practice. As expected entering Summer League play, Griffin was essentially playing for his roster spot and didn’t do enough to keep it. In five games, Griffin averaged 3.8 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 20.6 minutes per game.

Griffin was originally drafted by the Suns 48th overall in the 2009 NBA Draft. His exit could open up a roster spot for an undrafted Summer League player.

Tyler Lockman

Tags: Phoenix Suns · Phoenix Suns News · Taylor Griffin

• 1 Pedro // Jul 26, 2010 at 7:00 am

Not surprised he was released but glad he is gone!! I do hope he does well for himself though!

• 2 rich // Jul 26, 2010 at 7:40 am

get a job

• 3 Pedro // Jul 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I do have a job Rich.

• 4 Al // Jul 26, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I guess NBA talent doesn’t run in the Griffin family. The new open Roster that has opened up will most likely be filled by Scottie Reynolds since sources have said that Suns were agreeing in a contract.

• 5 Steve // Jul 26, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I don't see the point of putting Reynolds on the end of the bench. While he clearly has talent (1st team All-American), his skills are unproven against NBA talent. I think they should start him in the D-League, give Lawal/Collins their shot at the Association first, assess the team's needs and get into their rhythm, then call up Reynolds for a mid- to late-season appearance to introduce him to the NBA game. If his talents translate well onto the NBA floor, then he might be worth keeping around, or he might be useful as a trade piece.

• 6 Hedo Turk // Jul 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I want Scottie. Open good to shot for me. Hail me.

• 7 Drew // Jul 26, 2010 at 8:57 pm

He played hard. He’ll do well in another league, be it NBDL or overseas.
    Both Scottie Reynolds and Matt Janning looked great in summer league. Too bad they play the same position. I was impressed and would want Gentry to develop both of them. Janning seemed a bit more knowledgeable on the court, and Thunder Dan made it seem like Reynolds could get bit annoying. I think either one would be a great pickup.

• 8 Mike L // Jul 26, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Matt Janning was a PG? I know Scottie was, but I thought Janning was a 2.

• 9 Michael Schwartz // Jul 26, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Yeah, Janning is a 2. The Suns would be at 13 if they keep both their second-rounders, so these guys could be fighting with Dwayne Collins for that last spot (or the Suns could keep 14 for a change). Reynolds has been invited to camp but I don’t believe he has agreed on a contract or anything like that.