Dwayne Collins — What they are saying

Posted by on June 27th, 11:44 pm

The last pick in the NBA Draft rarely holds value these days and is often deemed “Mr. Irrelevant,” but the Phoenix Suns’ Dwayne Collins has the potential to dismiss that notion. Standing at 6-foot-8 with a massive 7-foot-4 wingspan, the 60th pick in the 2010 Draft could play NBA minutes based on pure stature alone.

But what does he bring to the table other than just impressive measurables and massive hands? The general consensus is rebounding, tough defense and some aggressive offensive post moves, but here’s exactly what a few other sources had to say about what the Suns got in Collins:

ESPN’s Chad Ford: “Collins is one of the best athletes in the draft. His production at Miami was underwhelming but he’s tough and he attacks the rim.”

CBSSports.com: (No. 55 overall prospect): “Collins has the athleticism and strong frame to do the dirty work around the basket. His offense comes from his ability to power his way to the rim, but he showed last season that he also has the hands to catch in the post and convert. He is an outstanding offensive rebounder, doing a nice job on put-backs.”

Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Eisenberg: “Basketball’s version of Mr. Irrelevant? Meet Dwayne Collins, a 6-foot-8 forward from Miami. Jay Bilas likes him as a person, which is code for not liking him as a player.”

NBA.com: “Strong and physical with a great basketball frame.”

AOL Fanhouse’s Tom Ziller: “Phoenix also took Dwayne Collins out of Miami with the last pick in the second round. He has the same chance of making the Suns as Taylor Griffin did last year. Which is to say no chance at all.”

NBADraft.net’s Seth Sommerfeld: “Mr. Irrelevant is Dwayne Collins. He’s good at grabbing boards in the paint and playing with his back to the basket. Collins is a sleeper due to his huge wingspan and explosiveness. Plus, people know who he is.”

Overall grade: B. Collins isn’t anything special on the basketball court, but he’s exactly what you would want with a 60th pick: He can provide minutes now and has the frame and potential to develop into something far from irrelevant. He is a great fit for the Suns, especially considering their needs, and his high motor and length should bring a physical presence that has been missing seemingly forever. There were still a few names that could have been had at 60 — Samardo Samuels and Manny Harris come to mind — but Collins makes sense for Phoenix and has a ton of room to grow.

Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz is a former ValleyoftheSuns writer who now works as an assistant video coordinator for the D-League\\’s Bakersfield Jam. He specialized in video breakdowns for VotS.

Tags: Draft · Dwayne Collins · Phoenix Suns

• 1 Bob // Jun 28, 2010 at 1:02 am

I don’t see Collins lasting with the Suns. Just a feeling.

• 2 suns68 // Jun 28, 2010 at 3:31 am

Why do we torture ourselves like this every year hoping our draft class of low first round and second round picks will actually amount to anything?

The last second-round Suns pick to make an actual impact on the club was Cedric Ceballos and that was 20 years ago.

If either of this year's draft picks does anything noteworthy, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I will be surprised.

Given the premium on big men in today's NBA, when they're drafted this low, it's usually for a good reason.

More likely it will be the same old rerun: pro body, high-school skill set.

• 3 Damon // Jun 28, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Collins is the best thing going on here in Miami Fl. If he dad a john Wall on his team to pass the ball the right way…He would easily have been a first round pick. He didn’t have a team or a coach…….

• 4 Mark // Jun 28, 2010 at 3:22 pm

suns68 – I believe that you could say Goran Dragic had an impact on the suns last year, and should be able to continue for years to come. He was drafted for the suns by the spurs using the 45th overall pick.

Otherwise you are right we haven’s had any impact-full second rounders, but if you look at the drafts from the past ten years we have only had a handful of second round picks that we didn’t trade.

If we had kept them we would have had Marcin Gortat, Stephen Jackson, Nate Robinson and others.

• 5 suns68 // Jun 29, 2010 at 2:46 am

Mark,

Thanks for the correction. I should have credited that draft and trade for Goran.

My problem is just the raising of expectations that we see year to year over players. I think we should just admit it's a crap shoot after the 25th pick or so and live with it, rather than getting our hopes up.

I can't see either of these guys, or Earl Clark for that matter, being a legitinate replacement for Amare. Maybe they can take up the slack if (when) we lose Lou.

• 6 Mark // Jun 29, 2010 at 7:29 am

suns68,

No problem! (What good is having way too much obscure info replacing the important if I can't share it?)

I agree completely that 2nd rounders can be tough, but given the track record of our scouts even with the guys they've traded I would give these guys a shot.

That said there is no way either of them or Clark will be even close to an average replacement for Stoudemire on offense, but I'm not sure we need all the offense he gives us given that without him J-Rich should be able to get to the rim more and it'll free up Steve driving and dishing for even more threes. All in all I think the Suns may be better of with a more defensive/rebounding post player that can give them around 10-15pt and 10 rebounds. Gani Lawal should eventually fill that roll.

• 7 Canefan // Jul 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Keep an eye on Collins, he is ,after all , a hurricane! If you are from Miami you know how unpredictable hurricanes can be…

• 8 florida Accountant // Mar 29, 2013 at 9:02 am

Fantastic blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about here?

I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get responses from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

• 9 have a peek at this website // May 28, 2013 at 7:20 am

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100% positive. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Appreciate it

Take a look at my blog post :: have a peek at this website

• 10 http://myanimelist.net/ // Jun 17, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Hi there to all, it’s really a pleasant for me to pay a visit this web site, it consists of important Information.