Phoenix Suns game jerseys to be sponsored by Annexus

Posted by on April 1st, 6:08 pm

The Phoenix Suns are set to become the first NBA team to wear a corporate logo on the front of their jerseys. (Photo Illustration/James Constable)

The Phoenix Suns plan to announce a continuation of their sponsorship agreement with the Annexus Group later this month that will call for the Annexus name and logo to be featured prominently on the front of every Suns jersey, a source confirmed to ValleyoftheSuns late Thursday.

The “Annexus” name will replace “Phoenix” on the front of all Suns jerseys, much like how LifeLock is now emblazoned on the front of every Phoenix Mercury jersey instead of the city name.

The Suns are following in the path of their WNBA sisters, who launched the first-ever branded jersey for an NBA or WNBA team before the 2009 season and then went on to win the championship.

Annexus already sponsors the Suns’ practice jerseys as well as their practice court thanks to an agreement signed in September. However, it is unprecedented in major professional sports for a sponsor to take over prime real estate on the front of a team’s game jersey.

Suns CEO Rick Welts was not available at press time for comment, but an official annoucement is expected in the middle of April.

The terms of this agreement were not announced, but a source said this deal would be for a “substantial amount of money, the kind of dough that could make an Amare deal a foregone conclusion.”

For more info, check out the official release.

Tags: Phoenix Suns · Phoenix Suns News

• 1 sconosciuto // Apr 1, 2010 at 11:48 am

This is an April Fools'… right? Please?

• 2 ohyeahbutter // Apr 1, 2010 at 11:58 am

I nearly messed myself until I clicked the "official release" link. That would have been a terrible idea but the worst part is that with the way that Sarver has been running this ship, it's pretty believable. Sad I know.

• 3 Jake // Apr 1, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Are you kidding me?

Was Sarver that stupid? I just can't believe it.

• 4 Jax // Apr 1, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Hahahaha great April Fools Prank! Gotta love April Fools Day

• 5 MAUI // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:49 pm

O M G !!

• 6 MAUI // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:03 pm

we all know SARVER is a complete IDIOT!!! and he would do anything for a couple bucks .But this is shocking .I have been a PHOENIX SUNS fan for 35 yrs.I cant believe the NBA will allow the cheap idiot to do this?

• 7 Auggie // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I almost vomitted!!!!! Very raw prank!

• 8 Winchester // Apr 2, 2010 at 2:58 am

All of you who fell for this are ridiculously gullible. Please…

• 9 colin // Apr 2, 2010 at 12:18 pm

NOOOOOOOO!! Please No!! This has got to be one of the worst moves ever by my beloved Suns. I really hope they reconsider.

• 10 The final countdown| Valley of the Suns // Apr 5, 2010 at 9:12 am

[...] link at the bottom of the post, yes, the April 1 story on Annexus sponsoring Suns game jerseys was an April Fools joke. I hope you enjoyed it and didn’t take it too [...]